Posted to builds@apache.org by Rob DiCiuccio <ro...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/03 20:04:47 UTC

Ephemeral builds for manual testing

Hi all,

I was asked to share details of our setup for ephemeral builds and how
we're leveraging GitHub Actions and AWS Fargate to create manual test
environments on pull requests in Apache Superset. I wrote this up in a blog
post last week and I'm happy to answer any questions about the approach:

https://preset.io/blog/2021-4-28-ephemeral-test-environments-in-superset/

One thing not mentioned in the blog post is the current pain around GitHub
Actions delays making this feature unusable at times. I'm aware of multiple
discussions already going on around this issue. We are looking into setting
up self-hosted runners, similar to Airflow's approach, but we're still
investigating our options and usage patterns.

Cheers,
Rob

Re: Ephemeral builds for manual testing

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
This is a great post and great approach from the Superset team.

FYI. In Airflow we are working on enabling the very same approach that we
did for AWS in GCP, with a slightly different approach when it comes to
auto-scaling (a bit simpler I think).  We will share it when we finish.

J.

--
+48 660 796 129