Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/07/01 19:05:30 UTC

announcing the prerelease

Since it seems that most of the issues were resolved and some minor ones
can be resolved during the pre-release period, I think we can go ahead
and announce the RC1.

After we polish the announcement we can post it right away, let's say
tomorrow?

I don't think we really need a long announcement, just need to mention
that users shouldn't expect perfect things since we have tried hard to
have a good look-n-feel for the modern standard-complient browsers while
having a usable, and not necessarily pretty, look-n-feel in the older
browsers. That we have tested the site in wide variety of browsers on
Mac, Win and Unix platforms, but it's possible that there are browsers
out there that will have problems with our design, and we may or may not
be able to fix the problem. We also probably need to remind that
anything that we release is better than the current site.

Of course if anybody has client crashes on our site or a major font
disproportion issue, we should probably take this kind of problems
seriously.

Anybody is willing to write an announcement? Please also see some extra
notes I've started in the TODO file. Thanks!

Re: announcing the prerelease

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> At 22:48 01.07.2002, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>
>>    http://perl.apache.org/XXX
>

> As I'm on vacation and have access to the webserver, I volunteer to add
> the issues as they come in...
> I suggest the URL:
> http://perl.apache.org/issues.txt
> (I think a text file should be enough).

cool! I've called is site-issues.txt

Re: announcing the prerelease

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: announcing the prerelease

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> At 10:44 02.07.2002, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>
>>> on the second thought I think it's preferable to have them in cvs, so
>>> we all can easily see the progress and not guess what has changed.
>>>
>>> may be put them in the root of the modperl-site repository which will
>>> make them available from / right away, then you simply need to run:
>>>
>>> ssh www.apache.org '(cd /www/perl.apache.org;cvs update -dP)'
>>>
>>> every time you commit a change.
>>>
>>> the modperl-cvs mailing list gets the modification posts.
>>>
>>> once the site is released we will move them into the new rep.
>>

>> All right, that's what I thought too. Will add them now.
>

> The files are now in CVS, and accessible at:
> http://perl.apache.org/ISSUES
> http://perl.apache.org/STATUS
>
> It would be good if we could update STATUS with what we know is working
> right now.

updated for linux

Re: announcing the prerelease

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> At 08:49 02.07.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

>>> Yes, probably. I was thinking to keep track of those mails a little
>>> like the deprecated STATUS file we have now.. have a table to
>>> indicate what seems to work, and what not.
>>

>> so should we then have:
>> /site-issues.txt
>> /site-status.txt?
>>
>> I guess we will want to keep these files around after RC stage is
>> over, so if any questions arise afterwards we will be able to per-use
>> these files.
>

> If we want to keep them, then we should add them to CVS and have them
> under release/ for now:
> /release/ISSUES
> /release/STATUS ? (we already have that one)
>
> but we need to make sure that these are updated continuously to the
> site.. quicker than the 6 hour turnaround.. so I'll do that manually.

ok

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 22:54 01.07.2002, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>here an 'n' is missing..

Ok :)

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: announcing the prerelease

Posted by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at>.
Hi!

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 10:48:42PM +0200, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

Ok for me, but:

> What?
> -----
> As you may know, we have been at work for a while trying to create a
> new site for mod_perl: ot only a new design, but a more sensible

------------------------^

here an 'n' is missing..

--
#!/usr/bin/perl                                http://domm.zsi.at
for(ref(bless[],just'another'perl'hacker)){s-:+-$"-g&&print$_.$/}

Re: announcing the prerelease

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 07:34 02.07.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Stas Bekman wrote:
>>Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

>>>Okay, a quick shot here as I'm bored with trying to categorize the
>>>Apache:: modules.
>>
>>Great work, Per Einar
>>I've committed it as:
>>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/modperl-docs/ANNOUNCE
>>so we can work on it and review it easily.
>>I'll commit my comments to it.
>
>Here is the latest version of this doc for your review:

All your changes are +1 for me. I'll just commit some small fixes.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: announcing the prerelease

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>
>> At 19:05 01.07.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody is willing to write an announcement? Please also see some
>>> extra notes I've started in the TODO file. Thanks!
>>

>> Okay, a quick shot here as I'm bored with trying to categorize the
>> Apache:: modules.
>

> Great work, Per Einar
>
> I've committed it as:
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/modperl-docs/ANNOUNCE
> so we can work on it and review it easily.
>
> I'll commit my comments to it.

Here is the latest version of this doc for your review:

What?
-----

As you may know, the work on the new mod_perl site have started in
September 2001, and after almost a year we are glad to present to you
the outcome of this work. The new site's goal wasn't only to create a
nice design, but mainly to improve its documentation organization and
navigation aspects, because of the ever growing amount of
documentation that the mod_perl community generates.

We have now come to the point where we are very satisfied with the
design and overall usability of the site, so we are proud to announce
the Release Candidate 1. Depending on the feedback from you, the site
may undergo some minor fixes if there are problems and eventually be
released for you all to use.

Where?
------

RC1 is now located at this URL:

      http://perl.apache.org/release/

When the Release Candidate gets all bugs rolled out, it will replace
the existing mod_perl site:

      http://perl.apache.org/

What Problems To Report?
------------------------

Throughout development, the site has been tested extensively on many
different OS/browser combinations: Unix, MacOS and Windows. However,
we couldn't test with every possible browser/platform combination, so
it's possible that certain combinations are problematic.

This is why we ask for your help: take some time to browse the site,
and take note of:
- errors with browsers (crashes and/or rendering problems)
- usability: are you satisfied with the navigation and organization
   of the content?
- your general satisfaction with how the site is.

Before sending your feedback, please remember that the site has been
designed with respect to the HTML 4.0 and CSS 2 standards, and it is
therefore possible that the rendering might be flawed in some browsers
that do not follow these standards, either because they are old (and
these standards didn't exist at the time of their release) or simply
broken. However, we still tried to make the site usable for these
browsers, which also somewhat restricted us in deploying the standards
to their full extent.

So if you see a rendering problem, in an old, buggy or alpha version
of some browser, but the site is still usable you may have to live
with that and possibly you will need to consider upgrading your
browser.

The text browsers "lynx" and "links" seem to work fine with the new
site, please report any problems with other text browsers that we
didn't have a chance to test with.

The punchline, is that you should remember that we don't claim that
the site is perfect and it's still much better than the existing
one. We will *not* try to provide a solution for every browser out
there, because we simply don't have the resources for that, and we
don't want to maintain a dozen css style sheets to accomodate for
idiosyncrasies of every browser.

Also we would like to remind you that you've had many chances to
influence the overall design of the site and at this point it's too
late to suggest drastic changes, so please stick to bug reports since
we want to release the new site soon. If you've ideas for the future
generations of the site, please consider bringing them up after this
site is released.

Where to report?
----------------

Before reporting a problem, first please check whether the problem
that you've have been reported already here:
     http://perl.apache.org/site-issues.txt
If your issue is already listed, please do not submit it again.

Otherwise please post the description of the problem to the docs-dev
list:

      http://perl.apache.org/release/maillist/docs-dev.html

To post, send an e-mail to:

      docs-dev (at) perl.apache.org

You do not have to be subscribed to post, but your message will have
to be approved first so it might take some hours before it gets to the
list.

When reporting, we will need as detailed information as possible:
- Operating System's name and version
- browser's name and version
- a detailed report of the *exact* problem you are having
- if you have a rendering problem please provide a snapshot, though
   please try to keep the snapshot's size small.

Please be as precise as possible to help us find out the problem and
fix it. Furthermore, if you know hot to fix the problem, we will
appreciate that.

When the new site goes live?
----------------------------

If there will be no major bugs hopefully in about 1-2 weeks.

Re: announcing the prerelease

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 19:05 01.07.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Anybody is willing to write an announcement? Please also see some extra
>notes I've started in the TODO file. Thanks!

Okay, a quick shot here as I'm bored with trying to categorize the Apache::
modules.

What?
-----
As you may know, we have been at work for a while trying to create a
new site for mod_perl: ot only a new design, but a more sensible
organization of all the documentation we currently have at hand. We
have now come to the point where we are very satisfied with the design
and overall usability of the site, so we will present this to you as
Release Candidate 1 before releasing it officially.

Where?
------
The site is now located at this URL:

      http://perl.apache.org/release/

When the Release Candidate gets all bugs rolled out, we will release
it to its correct address, http://perl.apache.org/.

What should I do?
-----------------

Throughout development, the site has been tested extensively on many
different OS/browser combinations: Unix, MacOS and Windows
mostly. However, we can of course not be sure that it's working
correctly for everyone.

This is why we ask for your help: take some time to browse the site,
and take note of:
- errors with browsers (crashes and/or rendering problems)
- usability: are you satisfied with the navigation and organization
   of the content?
- your general satisfaction with how the site is.

The site has been designed with respect to the HTML 4.0 and CSS 2
standards, and it is therefore normal that the rendering might be
flawed in some (few) browsers that do not support this. However, we
have still made sure that the content is accessible by everyone, so
even text-browsers should make the site usable.

Where to report?
----------------
First of all, you should check the list of reported bugs here:
     http://perl.apache.org/XXX
If your issue is already listed, we will take care of it.

If your issue isn't listed, you will have to contact the docs-dev
list:

      http://perl.apache.org/release/maillist/docs-dev.html

To post, send an e-mail to:

      docs-dev (at) perl.apache.org

You do not have to be subscribed to post, but your message will have
to be approved first so it might take some hours to get a response.

When reporting, we will need as detailed information as possible:
- your Operating System name/release
- the browser you are using: name + release
- a detailed report of the *exact* problem you are having

Please be as precise as possible to help us find out the problem and
fix it. Furthermore, if you have a fix, we will appreciate that.

Try to refrain from too general design questions: we have spent a
considerable amount of time on the design and are now more concerned
with the fact that the site *works* for everyone.

Enjoy your new site, mod_perlers!

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be