Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org> on 2019/07/01 00:11:56 UTC

Re: Request for summary update (was Re: Does Outreachy mean we are paying for code? Is that acceptable?)

thanks for your reply, Ted

to be clear: I have no interest in a moral or philosophical debate here. I
am as tired as anybody is with this endless bickering

the reason I sent my email anyway is because if this whole debate boils
down to "we must be cautious" vs "it's important that we change this", then
that, to me, seems like quite a different (and dare I say it, productive)
conversation to the one we've been having

"this is how we do it" isn't something you can argue with productively if
you want the ASF to start paying interns. and that conversation is going to
go in circles. as you point out, and as the activity on this list (and
others) has demonstrated

contrariwise, "we must be cautious!" *is* useful. I can work with that.
that sounds like the start of a negotiation