Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ian Grainger <ia...@isfluent.com> on 2012/01/05 13:25:37 UTC

Intermittent connection timeouts to Solr server using SolrNet

Hi - I have also posted this question on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8741080/intermittent-connection-timeouts-to-solr-server-using-solrnet

I have a production webserver hosting a search webpage, which uses SolrNet
to connect to another machine which hosts the Solr search server (on a
subnet which is in the same room, so no network problems). All is fine >90%
of the time, but I consistently get a small number of The operation has
timed out errors.

I've increased the timeout in the SolrNet init to *30* seconds (!)

SolrNet.Startup.Init<SolrDataObject>(
    new SolrNet.Impl.SolrConnection(
        System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["URL"]
    ) {Timeout = 30000}
);

...but all that happened is I started getting this message instead of Unable
to connect to the remote server which I was seeing before. It seems to have
made no difference to the amount of timeout errors.

I can see *nothing* in *any* log (believe me I've looked!) and clearly my
configuration is correct because it works most of the time. Anyone any
ideas how I can find more information on this problem?

Thanks!

--
Ian

ian@isfluent.com <al...@endissolutions.com>