Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com> on 2005/03/31 16:02:07 UTC

[OT] The wisdom of Albert (was Chain: too damn buggy to be out of sandbox)

http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html
http://home.att.net/~quotations/einstein.html
http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Albert_Einstein/
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~burc0050/quotes_einstein.html
http://www.cersanmystical.org/Quotes%20of%20Einstein-1.htm

I admit I couldn't find an actual citation, probably on the 2nd or 3rd
page of Google results... but, if it's not a real quote at least EVERYONE
seems to be making the same mistake :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: [OT] The wisdom of Albert (was Chain: too damn buggy to be out of sandbox)

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
Seneca said: "[w]hen in Rome, do as the Romans do.  When not in Rome,
do as the Romans do".  You know what this has been taken to mean.

"EVERYONE" makes the same mistake frequently.  That is kind of the
nature of "EVERYONE".

The book "In Praise of Folly", which actually is taken to be in praise
of folly by "EVERYONE", was written by Erasmus in grief over the
beheading of his friend, Thomas More by Henry VIII.  Peter Nannius
wrote: "Erasmus the glory of our times, lived in the heart of More,
More, the sole light of Britian, lived in  the heart of Erasmus.  The
one exchanged life with the other; each lived a life not his own.  It
is no marvel that with the death of More, Erasmus wished for death,
unwilling to live longer".  The title word "folly" is a Latin pun for
More and the title actually means "In Praise of More", who was
recognized as one of the most if not the most erudite (certainly no
friend of folly) man in extant Christiandom.  Now "EVERYONE" thinks
that the book is in praise of the simple life and, indeed, folly.

Plato's "The Republic" (whose actual title is "The City" - "politeia")
is a careful _reductio ad absurdum_ of the idea of a perfect city that
suspiciously sounds like the hated Sparta (Socrates took hemlock
rather than leave Athens, remember) but this has not stopped
"EVERYONE" from forgetting the admonition in that book to hide behind
the walls until the political winds have died down and from deciding
that the book attempts to do the opposite, i.e. posit a perfect
society based on Spartan principles.

"EVERYONE" takes the New Testament, a book slabbed together and
retrofitted from multifarious sources to meet the political ends of
Emporer Constantine and his toady Eusebius to be the Word of God
itself.  "EVERYONE" also says the Lords Prayer in public, which aside
from being an obviously later addition to the Book of Matthew was
cautioned by Jesus to be used only in private.

"EVERYONE" is not a good source.  "EVERYONE" is a particulary bad
source on the Internet, the home of fluff and deception for small
personal triumphs.

There, now you have it.  ///;-)

Jack

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:02:07 -0500 (EST), Frank W. Zammetti
<fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
> http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html
> http://home.att.net/~quotations/einstein.html
> http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Albert_Einstein/
> http://www.tc.umn.edu/~burc0050/quotes_einstein.html
> http://www.cersanmystical.org/Quotes%20of%20Einstein-1.htm
>
> I admit I couldn't find an actual citation, probably on the 2nd or 3rd
> page of Google results... but, if it's not a real quote at least EVERYONE
> seems to be making the same mistake :)
>
> --
> Frank W. Zammetti
> Founder and Chief Software Architect
> Omnytex Technologies
> http://www.omnytex.com
>
> On Thu, March 31, 2005 1:28 am, Dakota Jack said:
> > I know that people have said Einstein said this.  Does anyone have a
> > real citation to prove it?  This does not sound like Einstein.  This
> > sounds like a list-geek.
> >
> > Jack
> >

> > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:27:32 -0800, Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> human
> >> fit

> >> We've all been there at least once :-).  Good luck!
> >>
> >> Craig

> > --
> > "You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it float on its back."
> > ~Dakota Jack~

~Dakota Jack~