Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by John Barrett Rose <wo...@aon.at> on 2014/02/22 15:01:27 UTC

Malware infection

Dear Sirs,

On my recommendation, a friend in Salzburg tried to install
Openoffice.org on his iMac on Thursday 20 Feb and found it was infected
with Genieo malware including fake Adobe and fake Java installations.

Manage to clean out the mess, but it left me looking stupid as I have
had OO.org on my computer for several years without problems.

Be warned.

John Barrett Rose

--
Any answer should be sent to johnbarrettrose2@gmail.com

Thank you.

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 24/02/2014 Rob Weir wrote:
>>> http://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/how_to_safely_download_apache
> We could use the Apache URL shortener service to give it a clearner
> URL if we want.

I've created http://s.apache.org/genuine-openoffice as an alias; if you
prefer other options, just create another alias on s.apache.org (or just
use the original URL).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>>
>>> Can we agree that we will answer all those mails by simply sending a link
>>> a webpage or wiki page?
>>
>> When I respond I just sent them to this blog post:
>> http://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/how_to_safely_download_apache
>

> I often point there people who complain they had to pay for OpenOffice, but
> you are right, indeed it covers all kinds of "bad" download sites. It would
> be OK for me to point users to it. And to have a link to it in the sidebar
> of our download page.
>
> The only problem I see is the horribly mangled URL. But this is courtesy of
> Roller and it wouldn't make sense to change it now.

We could use the Apache URL shortener service to give it a clearner
URL if we want.

-Rob

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de>.
Hi David,

your answer is quite interesting. On one hand you write fairly rough
answers to people who ask for support, on the other hand you react quite
sensitively to the responses to your mail. Do you see the discrepance?
Ok, I could have omitted the "conveniently" .... i apologise for this.

Your answer to John could, indeed, be interpreted to mean that you're a
bit annoyed with people who have  problem with an infected version of
OpenOffice because it frequently happened. I did not mean to make you
leave the project, that's your own - and regrettable - decision. This
whole thing shows that it is necessary to be careful what we write to
people who ask for support. John was angry and embarrassed that after he
gave his friend a tip to use openoffice his computer was infected with
malware. And then he received a seemingly "annoyed" answer and got even
more angry because from your answer it must have seemed to him that you
weren't taking him quite seriously.

As to the question for the link from where his friend downloaded
Openoffice, you may think it doesn't help a lot to know where that is. I
don't share your opinion. And it's not an excuse that other projects
suffer from the same problem. Of course we need to know where these
things come from because if we don't we can't do anything against it.
Ok, we can't do a lot, but those requests come fairly often and I think,
not enough is done about those folks who use this wonderful project as a
vehicle for their malware or who exploit it to make a lot of money with
it. It's not a solution not to do anything about it. What do you think
happens when articles in computer magazines or online start appearing
which say that OpenOffice should not be used because it "regularely
comes adorned with malware" or something? That would mean real trouble!

And please do NOT turn your back on OpenOffice!

Max

Re: Malware infection

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 23 February 2014 19:21, Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net> wrote:

> [...]

Please reconsider that, we are all just humans who make good/bad judgements
and THAT IS ALLOWED in  here.

Speaking with my PMC hat on, we would have a really dull community if we
only accepted mails that conformed to a non-existing standard. We want to
have (and do have) a vibrant community, where the mails sometimes are a bit
on edge.

This ML is NOT a user support mail list so users should expect more rough

Its unfortunate that your response ended up like this. But please put it
behind you as one of those events you dont want to think long about.

Life is too short to take a single event to seriously !
Developing/supporting/being part of openSource/Apache/AOO is (and should
always be) fun.

In the hope to see continued contributions from you
rgds
jan I.

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

On February 23, 2014 12:50:12 PM PST, Xuacu wrote:
>I can't see anything snotty in saying that we can't do anything to prevent malicious sites offering tampered with copies of Apache OpenOffice.

The issue is that the vocabulary that was used, implied that the victim was entirely to blame.
That is not the way to make friends and influence people.

I have not yet seen the URL that the software was downloaded from.
That URL is needed, to determine what the person really downloaded, and the appropriate follow up action.
(The OP didn't mention AOO in their tale of woe.  Nor did they mention which version of Mac OS X  was used.)
--
Your language. Your documents. Your way.

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Xuacu <xu...@gmail.com>.

> (By the way, there was nothing wrong in the tone of your first reply in this
> thread; I was going to copy/paste it for a user reporting a similar
> problem).

Indeed. I can't see anything snotty in saying that we can't do
anything to prevent malicious sites offering tampered with copies of
Apache OpenOffice.

Regards
--
Xuacu

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Dave Barton wrote:
> After more than decade of "attempting" to provide support and
> contributions to the OOo/AOO project, it appears that I lack the ability
> to contribute anything worthwhile. Therefore, I will remove myself from
> Apache and move on to other interests.

Even if you can only continue to help with moderation, with the
occasional forwarding of misdirected replies and with some quick reply
to users, this will be an appreciated contribution to the project.

Please just continue this way: it may be less than you hope to
contribute, but it is still worthwhile and useful to the project.

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2014-02-23, 3:06 PM Max Merbald wrote:
> Your answer to John could, indeed, be interpreted to mean that you're a bit annoyed with
> people who have  problem with an infected version of OpenOffice because it frequently happened.

It could only be interpreted that way by a bloody moron. There was nothing wrong with his response.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de>.
Hello John,

of course we are grateful for the tip. It seems, however, that Dave did
not make that clear enough. He appears to be more annoyed by people who
mention trouble with download than with those fraudulent people who
provide downloads infected with malware. Please be so kind as to tell us
from where you downloaded the infected version of OpenOffice - Dave
conveniently forgot to ask for that. We apologise for the
misunderstanding and hope that by now you found yourself an uninfected
download for OpenOffice.

Yours sincerely

Max

Re: Malware infection

Posted by John Barrett Rose <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.

Re: Malware infection

Posted by Toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 2/22/2014 6:01 AM, John Barrett Rose wrote:

>On my recommendation, a friend in Salzburg tried to install
  Openoffice.org on his iMac on Thursday 20 Feb and found it was infected
  with Genieo malware including fake Adobe and fake Java installations.

Please provide the exact URL that OpenOfice.org was downloaded from.

jonathon