Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net> on 2003/03/11 15:48:29 UTC

Eclipse compiler targetting JDK 1.4

Hi Troops,

	Hope all is well.

	Some people on the users list discovered that the Eclipse Java
	compiler we're using for XSP is set to target a 1.4 runtime
	environment, which causes problems when running your application
	under 1.3.

	Any thoughts ? should we make the EclipseJavaCompiler class
	target 1.3 only, or make the class format target configurable, or
	some other option ?

	Cheers,

	Marcus

----- Forwarded message from Alexander Enns <Al...@bdal.de> -----

From: "Alexander Enns" <Al...@bdal.de>
To: <co...@xml.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Axis as Cocoon component?

Hi Markus,

the problem was realy the compiler settings.
I have changed the compiler setting to Javac. Now all working properly.

At last I can begin to play with SoapServer. :-)

Thanks for Your help,

Alexander

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 01:38:07PM +0100, Stephan Michels wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Marcus Crafter wrote:
>
> > Hi Alexander,
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:54:46AM +0100, Alexander Enns wrote:
> > >
> > > Java 1.3.1
> > >
> > > java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/apache/cocoon/www/test_xsp
> > >  (Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)
> >
> > 	I suspect the XSP files have been compiled using jdk 1.4.x and
> > 	you're attempting to run them using jdk 1.3.1. Could that be the
> > 	case ?
> >
> > 	I'd clean out your work directory (ie. remove the xsp class files)
> > 	and see then if the problem persists.
>
> I got the same exception, but I doesn't use a 1.4 jdk. Can it be that
> we currently using a XSP compiler, which targets at 1.4?

	Could be. The default XSP compiler was changed recently from javac
	to Eclipse.

	There's no chance that the XSP pages were compiled with jdk 1.4
	sometime in the past and are left over in your work directory ?
	(it's happened to me :) )

	If not, can you perform your same test using the Javac compiler
	(the settings can be modified in your cocoon.xconf), and report
	back your results ?

	Thanks! Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

----- End forwarded message -----

Re: Eclipse compiler targetting JDK 1.4

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Marcus Crafter wrote:

>Hi Troops,
>
>	Hope all is well.
>
>	Some people on the users list discovered that the Eclipse Java
>	compiler we're using for XSP is set to target a 1.4 runtime
>	environment, which causes problems when running your application
>	under 1.3.

<me-too/>

>	Any thoughts ? should we make the EclipseJavaCompiler class
>	target 1.3 only, or make the class format target configurable, or
>	some other option ?

Detect on runtime and configure appropriately? Will work for me.

Vadim