Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com> on 2022/08/30 20:38:50 UTC

Arrow sync call August 31 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 16:00 UTC

Hi all,

Our biweekly sync call is tomorrow at 12:00 noon Eastern time.

The Zoom meeting URL for this and other biweekly Arrow sync calls is:
https://zoom.us/j/87649033008?pwd=SitsRHluQStlREM0TjJVYkRibVZsUT09

Alternatively, enter this information into the Zoom website or app to
join the call:
Meeting ID: 876 4903 3008
Passcode: 958092

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Arrow sync call August 31 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 16:00 UTC

Posted by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com>.
Attendees:

- Ian Cook
- Raúl Cumplido
- Dewey Dunnington
- James Duong
- Ian Joiner
- Will Jones
- Jonathan Keane
- David Li
- Rok Mihevc
- Niranda Perera
- Antoine Pitrou
- Gavin Ray
- Kae Suarez
- Matt Topol
- Brent Gardner
- Dalton Modlin

Proposal to switch to C++ 17 as the baseline supported version [1]
- The vote has passed [2]
- Antoine is working to diagnose and solve test failures [3]

Proposed rules for registering canonical extension types [4]
- The vote has passed [5] with the change that names will start with
"arrow." not "org.apache.arrow."
- Next step is a PR with docs updates

Status of JDBC driver for Arrow Flight SQL [6]
- James and David are working to get tests to pass

Suggestion for Arrow to add a fraction type
- AKA rational numbers, like what Julia has [7]
- Enables exact ratios to be represented as integers divided by integers
- Ian Joiner intends to start a Jira or ML discussion about this

Proposed support for float16 in Arrow and Parquet
- AKA half-precision
- There is a new discussion [8] and PR [9] proposing support in Parquet
- There is a new discussion about support in Arrow [10]
- There was some discussion about whether and how Arrow could use an
off-spec way of reading and writing float16 columns in Parquet files

Proposal for Flight SQL to support Substrait
- Discussion about this started a while ago [11] and there is a PR
open with discussion [12]
- David has opened a vote about this plus two other proposed
extensions to Flight SQL [13]

Arrow Database Connectivity (ADBC)
- Discussion about how we should handle ADBC in terms of the Arrow
specification; for example should the C header files [14] and Java
interfaces be made a part of the Arrow specification like we did with
the C data interface [15]
- Depending on this discussion, David will start a vote to decide
whether to do this
- For more context/background about ADBC, see the recent Voltron Data
blog post [16]

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/9g14n3odhj6kzsgjxr6k6d3q73hg2njr
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/dod96gbqtfz7pf096vhlczq6f5hv81z8
[3] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/13991