Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> on 2008/07/18 11:06:06 UTC

Guide vs Policy: requirements for a Champion

Hi all,

the "Roles and Responsibilities" document [1] says
in the section on Champions:

<quote>
A candidate project shall be sponsored by
an Officer or Member of the Foundation.
</quote>
<quote>
Where the Champion is not a Member of the Foundation
(i.e. is an Officer only), the Champion shall be a
member of the PMC of the Sponsor.
</quote>

I find the use of the verb "sponsor" in the
first quoted sentence somewhat confusing.
But more importantly, the Policy [2] says
in its section on Champions:

<quote>
A Member of the Apache Software Foundation
</quote>

Given the level of detail in which the not-a-member case
is discussed in the guide, I suspect that it's the Policy
that should be updated and not the guide?

cheers,
   Roland

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Champion
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Champion

Re: Guide vs Policy: requirements for a Champion

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Roland Weber wrote:
> I'm still wondering where the discrepancy comes
> from in the first place.

It was there from the start of the documents [1],
in revision 46392 (October 2003) when Champion
and Sponsor were still called "Sponsor" and
"Sponsoring Entity". Which also explains why the
guide says that the champion "sponsors" the proposal.

Has there ever been a case of a non-member champion?
If not, I suggest to stick with the policy and fix
the guide, since the policy is simpler. I could take
care of the editing next week. Should have both time
and karma by then.

cheers,
   Roland

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/incubation/

Re: Guide vs Policy: requirements for a Champion

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> the guide sounds like it's an improvement

Or one might argue that it tells some complicated
things to cover a case without real significance.
I've found [1] in the archives, which indicates
that the policy used to allow officers originally.
The guide says that an officer-not-member champion
needs to be on the PMC of the sponsor. If the
sponsor cannot find an ASF member to champion a
proposal, maybe the sponsor has more important
problems to deal with.

> so the best approach would
> be to create a patch and start a VOTE thread to get the change
> approved.

I'm still wondering where the discrepancy comes
from in the first place. Maybe I'll do some more
archive digging next week. But I might prepare a
patch for the broken links in the "Exiting the
Incubator" section of the TOC :-)

cheers,
   Roland

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cvs/200312.mbox/%3C20031231143526.79190.qmail@minotaur.apache.org%3E

Re: Guide vs Policy: requirements for a Champion

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the "Roles and Responsibilities" document [1] says
> in the section on Champions:
>
> <quote>
> A candidate project shall be sponsored by
> an Officer or Member of the Foundation.
> </quote>
> <quote>
> Where the Champion is not a Member of the Foundation
> (i.e. is an Officer only), the Champion shall be a
> member of the PMC of the Sponsor.
> </quote>
>
> I find the use of the verb "sponsor" in the
> first quoted sentence somewhat confusing.
> But more importantly, the Policy [2] says
> in its section on Champions:
>
> <quote>
> A Member of the Apache Software Foundation
> </quote>
>
> Given the level of detail in which the not-a-member case
> is discussed in the guide, I suspect that it's the Policy
> that should be updated and not the guide?

policy is normative, guides are just guidance

the guide sounds like it's an improvement so the best approach would
be to create a patch and start a VOTE thread to get the change
approved.

- robert