Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/08/01 04:39:12 UTC

Free Software Track - Call for Papers

>Newsgroups: comp.org.usenix
>From: toni@usenix.org (Toni Veglia)
>Subject: Free Software Track - Call for Papers
>Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 00:46:40 GMT

Announcement and Call for Papers - FREENIX Track

1999 USENIX Annual Technical Conference
June 6-11, 1999
Monterey, California

For the third year, USENIX is offering a special track within the
USENIX Annual Technical Conference devoted to the exchange of
information about the latest developments and interesting
applications in the world of freely redistributable software.
FREENIX is the forum covering everything from NetBSD to Linux, GNU
to Samba, etc. The FREENIX track attempts to cover the full range
of software which is freely redistributable in source code form or
provides pointers to where the code can be found on the Internet.
Jordan Hubbard of FreeBSD is serving as FREENIX program chair.
FREENIX attendees also attend all of the USENIX Conference
offerings and informal get-togethers.

Submission of a one page abstract is due by December 2, 1998.
For the full Call for Participation, go to the conference Website:
http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix99

FREENIX Technical Presentations
We are looking for talks which advance the state-of-the-art of
freely redistributable software or otherwise provide useful
information to those faced with deploying (and "selling") free
software in the field. Areas of interest include, but are not
limited to:

                     * Operating system design
                     * Network design and implementation
                     * File system design
                     * Highly-available systems
                     * Highly-scalable systems
                     * Graphical user interface tools
                     * Desktop metaphors
                     * File and print systems
                     * System management tools
                     * Security
                     * Large scale system management
                     * Interesting deployments of free
                       software
                     * How free software is being developed
                       and managed today

               Interesting applications of freely
               redistributable software might include:
                     * Robotics and automation.
                     * Clustering
                     * Wearable computers
                     * Embedded systems
                     * High-speed networking
                     * Studio graphics
                     * Audio processing

USENIX is the Advanced Computing Systems Association.  Its members are
the computer technologists responsible for many of the innovations in
computing we enjoy today.  To find out more about USENIX, visit its
Web site: http://www.usenix.org.