Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2011/06/13 18:31:00 UTC

[DISCUSS] how to add many committers to a new project (was: Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenOffice.org for incubation)

Hey hey,

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> +1 binding.  Given the sheer number of committers involved in this podling
> there will be some work to do trying to gel a coherent development community
> out of the group.  While I am optimistic, I am reminded of Roy's cautions
> about "piling on" [1] to a prospective podling, and am not entirely convinced
> that it's necessarily a good thing that we promote the idea of "getting in
> on the ground floor" wrt new podlings.
>
> [1]- http://s.apache.org/VT5

Perhaps one approach the podling could take at the guidance of its
mentors is to create accounts on demand. I.e. first order of business
is getting basic infrastructure up (I think everyone is looking
forward to having traffic on general@incubator back to normal -:) ),
next up is getting the initial code import. Next after that you start
adding in the people that have sent in CLAs and are wanting to touch
the code/website/etc. That's what harmony did. It helped the project
get into a mode of voting in new people frequently, and it also helped
make visible to the project that it was ok if you didn't show up on
day 0.

cheers...

Leo

Re: [DISCUSS] how to add many committers to a new project (was: Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenOffice.org for incubation)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
If you read Roy's thread you'd have known that what you're
suggesting was put forth by Noel, and Roy responded by basically
saying that putting mentors in charge of a codebase they
did not work on was a mistake:

http://s.apache.org/3h4