Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2013/08/06 08:50:51 UTC

Name of a new Apache plugin for maven?

Hi,

I am part of the Apache Flex Team and am currently working on Setting up a new Maven plugin for building Apache Flex applications. This will be an official Apache maven plugin, so would I be allowed to Name it "maven-flex-plugin" or should "flex-maven-plugin" be used instead? I would prefer "maven-flex-plugin" by far, but don't want to have to rename everything in the case this is not allowed.

Chris

Re: Name of a new Apache plugin for maven?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
I had all this "fun" when trying to name the Apache Maven plugin for Apache
Cassandra!

So here goes,

"Apache Maven" and "Maven" are two trademarks that the Apache Maven PMC is
tasked with protecting.

Thus they are only allowed to be used by the Apache Maven PMC.

We sought and got an exemption for permitting the pattern "____ Maven
Plugin" because that pattern makes it clear that the software product is a
plugin for Maven.

Thus the full name of the Apache Maven Plugin for Apache Cassandra is:
"Mojo's Cassandra Maven Plugin"... this name has to dance the fun of making
it clear that the software product is neither originating from Cassandra
nor Maven. If the Cassandra project had agreed to host the plugin, then we
could have simply called it "Cassandra Maven Plugin".

So the short answer is: Unless the plugin is released by the Apache Maven
project, you must name it according to the pattern "____ Maven Plugin"
*and* you must ACK the Apache, Apache Maven and Maven trademarks.

It does not matter whether you are an Apache project or not. The Apache
Maven PMC is tasked with ensuring that the marks delegated to us are
protected. The same responsibility for their marks falls on all the other
Apache PMCs and thus if the Apache Maven project wanted to host a Tomcat or
a Cassandra or a Flex plugin for Maven we would similarly have to assess
what the trademark usages those PMCs permit are and try to identify a way
of complying with those projects exemptions... (thankfully as Maven is our
mark we can put it wherever we like in the name when the project is hosted
by the Apache Maven project)

-Stephen

On 6 August 2013 07:50, christofer.dutz@c-ware.de <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de

Fwd: Name of a new Apache plugin for maven?

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
2013/8/6 Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>

> On 6 August 2013 16:39, christofer.dutz@c-ware.de
> <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:
> > Ok ...
> >
> > well I did read that naming info, I was just confused how to actually
> read it :-)
> >
> > "Apache Maven" "plugin" or "Apache" "Maven plugin" ... you see there are
> two semantics on how you could understand this. In my case it would
> actually be a "Maven plugin" from an Apache Project, but it's not a plugin
> from the "Apache Maven" Project ;-)
> >
> > But I the Definition regarding the Location of the sources is far less
> ambiguous.
> >

> Patches to improve documentation most welcome :)

Patches to improve documentation most welcome :)

Hi,

I've attached a small improvement proposal on
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNGSITE-180 to try being clearer about the
naming pattern.
If someone can review and commit it if OK, that'd be great.

Cheers

-- Baptiste

Re: Name of a new Apache plugin for maven?

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

AW: Name of a new Apache plugin for maven?

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ok ...

well I did read that naming info, I was just confused how to actually read it :-)

"Apache Maven" "plugin" or "Apache" "Maven plugin" ... you see there are two semantics on how you could understand this. In my case it would actually be a "Maven plugin" from an Apache Project, but it's not a plugin from the "Apache Maven" Project ;-)

But I the Definition regarding the Location of the sources is far less ambiguous.

I'll stick to "flex-maven-plugin" then.

Chris

Since your plugin isn't hosted inside the Apache Maven source
repository "flex-maven-plugin" looks like the correct choice.

Re: Name of a new Apache plugin for maven?

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
Further googling shows

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 6 August 2013 16:20, christofer.dutz@c-ware.de
<ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am part of the Apache Flex Team and am currently working on Setting up a new Maven plugin for building Apache Flex applications. This will be an official Apache maven plugin, so would I be allowed to Name it "maven-flex-plugin" or should "flex-maven-plugin" be used instead? I would prefer "maven-flex-plugin" by far, but don't want to have to rename everything in the case this is not allowed.

All the advice is over at
http://maven.apache.org/guides/plugin/guide-java-plugin-development.html

This has

"
Important Notice: Plugin Naming Convention and Apache Maven Trademark

You will typically name your plugin <yourplugin>-maven-plugin.

Calling it maven-<yourplugin>-plugin (note "Maven" is at the beginning
of the plugin name) is strongly discouraged since it's a reserved
naming pattern for official Apache Maven plugins. Using this pattern
is an infringement of the Apache Maven Trademark.
"