Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/03/04 22:10:32 UTC

Vote now for 2013 Readers Choice Awards (About.com)

We've received four nominations in About.com's 2013 Readers Choice
Awards.  In the category of Office Software we've been nominated for:

-- Your Favorite Office Suite for Windows
http://office.about.com/b/2013/02/19/vote-your-favorite-office-suite-for-windows.htm

-- Your Favorite Business Software Solution
http://office.about.com/b/2013/02/19/vote-your-favorite-business-software-solution.htm

-- Your Favorite Site for Office Software Templates
http://office.about.com/b/2013/02/19/vote-your-favorite-site-for-office-software-templates.htm

-- Your Favorite Office Software Company for Social Responsibility
http://office.about.com/b/2013/02/19/vote-on-your-favorite-office-software-company-readers-choice-awards-2013.htm

For that last one the nominee is "Apache Foundation".

Now comes the voting, which lasts until March 19th.  You can vote once
per day, in each category.

The website says, "Please also feel free to spread the word to your
community!", so I suggest we do exactly that and show that not only do
we have great software, but we also have a great community as well.

As they say in Chicago, "vote early and often"....

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Vote now for 2013 Readers Choice Awards (About.com)

Posted by chengjh <ch...@apache.org>.
+1,Voted for Apache OpenOffice..

--

Best Regards,Jianhong Cheng

Re: Vote now for 2013 Readers Choice Awards (About.com)

Posted by RA Stehmann <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>.
Am 05.03.2013 00:55, schrieb Jeffrey Deutsch:
> Hello,
>
> The first category listed here, Favorite Office Suite for Windows, has
> both OpenOffice and LibreOffice as separate competitors. I've voted
> for LibreOffice since (1) that's what it is now and (2) it currently
> has a majority of votes, so we should not split the vote and let one
> of the corporate suites win.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff Deutsch

I'm not able to vote for LibreOffice, because it isn't my choice.

Regards
Michael

Re: Vote now for 2013 Readers Choice Awards (About.com)

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

That's quite an interesting question.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with asking people -- whether
volunteers or employees -- as a group to vote in a secret-ballot
election. It's not as if the company can give any sanctions for not
voting the right way.

Incidentally, I'm a very happy user myself, not an official of
OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Apache or anything like that.

Cheers!

Jeff Deutsch
Speaker & Life Coach
A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
http://www.asplint.com

Your mood can affect how you read this e-mail. Please read it with a smile.
(http://tonecheck.com)

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Rob, Is it correct to ask volunteers to vote? Is it not like General
> Motors employees voting to promote GM cars? The users of the product shall,
> not the employees.

As far as I can tell this is not a scientific preference poll or
anything like that.   For example, voters are allowed to vote multiple
times.  The website specifically says you can vote again each day.
And I don't see anything that prevents voting with more than one email
address, or even with a fake address.  So it is far from scientific.
So in practice this is wide-open to all sorts of vote stuffing.  My
guess is About.com doesn't care because they get more eyeballs on
their website and that is good for their advertisers.

But in the end users vote with their actions and express their
preferences by actually using Apache OpenOffice.  So by that metric we
have 40 million "votes" already with another million every 6.5 days.

-Rob

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Sylvain DENIS <sy...@gmail.com>.
+1 voted

Librement,

*Sylvain DENIS*
/_*Expert TIC, FLOSS & WEB*_/
_Mon gsm :_ +32 (0)499 219 802
_Mon identifiant SIP :_ sylvain_denis
_Mon adresse SIP :_ sylvain_denis@ippi.fr
_Mon numéro SIP :_ 889431260
_Mon website :_ http://www.denis-sylvain.be
---
/Évitez l'utilisation des protocoles propriétaires.
Utilisez Jitsi <https://jitsi.org/> et prenez un compte SIP gratuit sur
IPPI <https://www.ippi.fr>/

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
just voted for AOO.