Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2011/03/03 20:58:21 UTC

feature dependency change tracking

In geronimo I implemented something that would tell you when the dependencies in your "feature" changed.  We've generally found this useful when working on a fairly stable feature and extremely annoying when working on something that's changing rapidly.

In more detail (translated from geronimo-speak to karaf-speak):

- the dependencies that are added to the features.xml from maven dependencies are put in a dependencies.xml file in target
- optionally these are compared with a dependencies.xml file in src/main/history
-- optionally the build fails on change
-- optionally the new dependencies.xml is copied over the old src/main/history/dependencies.xml
-- optionally the changes are put into the build log.

So typically you turn on compare and warn or compare and fail, and commit an initial src/main/history/dependencies.xml.  With fail-on-change, when dependencies change you either fix them or decide the change is ok and manually copy the new dependenciex.xml over src/main/history/dependencies.xml.  With warn-on-change you usually notice a changed dependencies.xml when you do svn status before a commit.

Does this seem like a good thing to add to karaf?

thanks
david jencks

Re: feature dependency change tracking

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.