Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Bill Rebey <Bi...@quovadx.com> on 2002/02/15 19:21:44 UTC

Per-thread logging

I want to be able to set different Priorities and Formats for individual
threads.

Can I do this with a single Logger?  If not, how might a I proceed?

I tried subclassing Thread and giving the subclass a Logger member, then
making a logging wrapper of sorts that gets the current thread and tries to
use the Logger in the subclassed thread, like this:

	public class MyThread extends Thread
	{
		public Category thisThreadsLogger;
	}

	public class Log
	{
	 	public static void debug (String strMsg)
		{
			((MyThread)
MyThread.currentThread()).thisThreadsLogger.debug (strMsg);
		}
	}

But my "debug" method generates a ClassCastException when I try to cast the
Thread returned from "currentThread()"
 to a MyThread.

How should I be handling this?

Bill Rebey