Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jennifer Seaman <je...@digitalartwork.org> on 2007/04/18 22:39:13 UTC

Facet Browsing

Does anyone have any sample code (php, perl, etc) how to setup facet
browsing with paging? I can't seem to get things like facet.mincount
to work. Thank you.

Jennifer Seaman

Re: Facet Browsing

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 4/19/07, Jennifer Seaman <je...@digitalartwork.org> wrote:
> > > I can't seem to get things like facet.mincount to work.
> >We had same issue when we used Solr incubator version.
> >Now we are using trunk version of Solr and the issue was gone.
>
> Where is this "trunk version"?

"trunk" is a reference to the source code control system, subversion.
The trunk has the latest source files, and hence represents the latest
(potentially unstable) development version.

See the second link on the wiki
"Download newest Solr nightly build"
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage

-Yonik

Re: Facet Browsing

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Apr 19, 2007, at 9:32 AM, Jennifer Seaman wrote:
> Can anyone provide a quick tutorial on how to setup facet browsing?
> After a keyword search I just want to allow the user to narrow the
> results by category, then by state, then by city and then by company.
>
> Some sample code would be appreciated.

At the moment your best bet will be Solr's excellent wiki on faceted
browsing: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SimpleFacetParameters

How you build your app to interact with Solr is going to be unique to
your situation, so an exact example won't be handy, but you can infer
a lot.   If you've got "string" indexed fields for category, state,
city, and company for documents in the index, then you'll first make
a query asking for the category facet back
(&facet=on&facet.field=category...) and your user interface will keep
the state of which facet the user is seeing, and you'd change the
facet field you request as the user drills in.

As you get more into the implementation and tinkering with Solr, you
might have more specific questions to refine what you're doing, but
with a little elbow grease and the Solr wiki you'll go far!

	Erik

Re: Facet Browsing

Posted by Jennifer Seaman <je...@digitalartwork.org>.
> > I can't seem to get things like facet.mincount to work.
>We had same issue when we used Solr incubator version.
>Now we are using trunk version of Solr and the issue was gone.

Where is this "trunk version"? I thought
apache-solr-1.1.0-incubating.zip was the latest release. Can anyone
provide a quick tutorial on how to setup facet browsing? After a
keyword search I just want to allow the user to narrow the results by
category, then by state, then by city and then by company.

Some sample code would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Jennifer Seaman

Re: Facet Browsing

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 4/22/07, Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Seems like we should document it.  I don't know if linking to the
> exact nightly build is worth the trouble though.
> If we document it in some consistent manner that can easily be
> searched, it would be easier to change after a release.

Sounds good.  If it is sufficiently unobstrusive, it probably isn't
even necessary to change it later.

-Mike

Re: Facet Browsing

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: Facet Browsing

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Facet Browsing

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: Facet Browsing

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp>.
Hi Jennifer,

 > I can't seem to get things like facet.mincount to work.

We had same issue when we used Solr incubator version.
Now we are using trunk version of Solr and the issue was gone.

Hope this helps,

Koji

Re: Facet Browsing

Posted by Kevin Lewandowski <ke...@gmail.com>.
I recommend you build your query with facet options in raw format and
make sure you're getting back the data you want. Then build it into
your app.