Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by du...@web.de on 2008/02/25 15:05:27 UTC

When does QueryParser creates PhraseQueries

Re: When does QueryParser creates PhraseQueries

Posted by du...@web.de.

Thanks a lot for your help Daniel, I have found a solution :)

The 'token' field is public inside QueryParser, and inside
'token.image' you can read the origin String with apostrophe.

Thus, I can differ between the two situations - and simply
return a BooleanQuery in the case there is no apostrophe.

best regards

Christian

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com>.
On Wednesday 27 February 2008 00:50:04 duiduder@web.de wrote:
> Looks that this is really hard-coded behaviour, and not Analyzer-specific.

The whitespace part is coded into QueryParser.jj, yes.  So are the quotes
and : and other query-specific things.

> I want to search for directories with tokenizing them, e.g.
> /home/reuschling - this seems to be not possible with the current
> queryparser.

That's possible by changing the analyser.  For instance StandardAnalyzer will
tokenise that as two terms, but WhitespaceAnalyzer will tokenise it as one.

> | If you subclass QueryParser than you can override this method and modify
> | it to do whatever evil trick you want to do.
>
> Overriding getFieldQuery() will not work because I can't differ between
> "home/reuschling", which should trigger a PhraseQuery, and home/reuschling
> without apostrophe, which should trigger a BooleanQuery...I will search
> whether I can find a better place for this:)

That much is true.  Likewise, there is no difference between quoting "cat" and
typing cat without quotes.

You could possibly override the parse(String) method and mangle the string in
some way so that you know.  So if the user enters /a/b it could pass
down /a/b, but if they enter "/a/b" it could pass down "SOMETHING/a/b", and
you then detect the SOMETHING in getFieldQuery.  Just have to make sure the
something isn't tokenised out by the analyser.

Or you could clone QueryParser.jj itself and modify it to call different
methods for the two situations.

Daniel

Re: When does QueryParser creates PhraseQueries

Posted by du...@web.de.

So, I stepped throw the QueryParser code further, and I now
have found the source for this behaviour: the QueryParserTokenManager

~        System.out.println("This one returns the whole String:");

~        String strQuery = "home/reuschling";
~        QueryParserTokenManager tokenManager = new QueryParserTokenManager(new FastCharStream(new StringReader(strQuery)));

~        for (Token next = tokenManager.getNextToken(); !next.toString().equals(""); next = tokenManager.getNextToken())
~            System.out.println("'" + next + "'");

~        System.out.println("This returns the two tokenized Strings 'home' and 'reuschling':");

~        strQuery = "home reuschling";
~        tokenManager = new QueryParserTokenManager(new FastCharStream(new StringReader(strQuery)));

~        for (Token next = tokenManager.getNextToken(); !next.toString().equals(""); next = tokenManager.getNextToken())
~            System.out.println("'" + next + "'");

Looks that this is really hard-coded behaviour, and not Analyzer-specific.

I want to search for directories with tokenizing them, e.g. /home/reuschling - this seems to be not possible
with the current queryparser.

| If you subclass QueryParser than you can override this method and modify it to
| do whatever evil trick you want to do.

Overriding getFieldQuery() will not work because I can't differ between "home/reuschling", which should trigger a
PhraseQuery, and home/reuschling without apostrophe, which should trigger a BooleanQuery...I will search whether
I can find a better place for this:)

regards

Christian Reuschling

Daniel Noll schrieb:
| On Tuesday 26 February 2008 01:05:27 duiduder@web.de wrote:
|> Hi all,
|>
|> I have the behaviour that when I search with Luke (version 0.7.1, Lucene
|> version 2.2.0) inside an arbritray field, the QueryParser creates a
|> PhraseQuery when I type in
|> ~              termA/termB      (no "...")
|> When I read the documentation at the Lucene webside, I only find the syntax
|> ~             "termA termB"
|> for creating phrase queries.
|>
|> Did I make a mistake? Can I configure the QueryParser that he simply
|> tokenizes between termA and termB, and makes a simple BooleanQuery as he do
|> in the case of a whitespace delimiter?
|
| You'll find they both go through getFieldQuery() as-is.  The default
| implementation of that runs the string through the analyser; if it happens to
| return more than one token then it will create a PhraseQuery instead of a
| TermQuery.
|
| If you subclass QueryParser than you can override this method and modify it to
| do whatever evil trick you want to do.
|
| Daniel

Re: When does QueryParser creates PhraseQueries

Posted by du...@web.de.

Daniel, thank you very much for the hint!

I stepped through the code and tried some scenarios.

when I type in with whitespace delimiters
~      termA termB
this will result into two invocations of getFieldQuery, one for each term.

when I type
~      termA/termB
or
~     "termA termB"
this will result into one invocation of getFieldQuery for the whole String.

Why makes the parser a difference between termA/termB and termA termB?
The Analyzer tokenizes between both delimiters.

Christian

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com>.