Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net> on 2010/01/31 20:56:15 UTC

PORTERS QUESTION: SA 3.3.0 and rules

Working on official SA 3.3.0 port for Freebsd, have a Question:
if user who installs SA 3.3.0 does NOT install or use sa-update, then I
have to install the default ruleset.
where should I put it? into the updates directory?
../3.003000/updates_spamassassin_org/
or where it was for 3.2.5? ../share/mail/spamassassin?

assuming they will either NEVER update it, or they will (someday) get
smart and run sa-update?
where is the best place to put it?
and, will checksum/location of default ruleset ever change?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

Re: PORTERS QUESTION: SA 3.3.0 and rules

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
it's a "release version" -- each release's version of that file and
its sigs will never change.

--
--j.

Re: PORTERS QUESTION: SA 3.3.0 and rules

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.

On 1/31/10 3:51 PM, Jack Raats wrote:

> I would vote for the update directory and automagically run sa-update
> when installing the port unattended.

would save disk space, and (I assume) overwrite older files.
however.. there still is ../share/spamassassin
these files anyway: (raw install, no updates or compiles.. ps sa-compile
seems to work fine in freebsd 7.1, amd64.

     languages
  sa-update-pubkey.txt
user_prefs.templat

i hate leaving a small dir with 'muck' in it.
on the otherhand, why suck in ../share/spamassassin cf files and then
updates.  but if I put them in updates, how do you delete old cf files.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:21:10 -0500
Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net> wrote:

> maybe I should have read ../INSTALL file :-)
> Install rules from a compressed tar archive:
>
>      sa-update --install Mail-SpamAssassin-rules-xxx.tgz

Isn't it sending out the wrong message to automate this as an install
option?

Re: PORTERS QUESTION: SA 3.3.0 and rules

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 31-Jan-2010, at 14:21, Michael Scheidell wrote:

> maybe I should have read ../INSTALL file :-)
> Install rules from a compressed tar archive:
>
>    sa-update --install Mail-SpamAssassin-rules-xxx.tgz

Does this mean 3.3.0 should now show up in ports?

--
What are you, Ghouls? There are no dead students here. This week.

Re: PORTERS QUESTION: SA 3.3.0 and rules

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.

Posted by Jack Raats <ja...@jarasoft.net>.
From: "Michael Scheidell" <sc...@secnap.net>

> Working on official SA 3.3.0 port for Freebsd, have a Question:
> if user who installs SA 3.3.0 does NOT install or use sa-update, then I
> have to install the default ruleset.
> where should I put it? into the updates directory?
> ../3.003000/updates_spamassassin_org/
> or where it was for 3.2.5? ../share/mail/spamassassin?

I would vote for the update directory and automagically run sa-update when
installing the port unattended.

Jack Raats