Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Caesar Samsi <ca...@mac.com> on 2015/05/18 23:41:04 UTC

hadoop.tmp.dir?

Hello,

Hadoop.tmp.dir seems to be the root of all storage directories.

I'd like for data to be stored in separate locations.

Is there a list of directories and how they can be specified?

Thank you, Caesar.

(.tmp seems to indicate a temporary condition and yet it's used by HDFS,
etc.)

Re: hadoop.tmp.dir?

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

The 3 main settings in hdfs-site.xml are:

   -   *  dfs.name.dir*: directory where namenode stores its metadata,
   default value ${hadoop.tmp.dir}/dfs/name.
   -     *dfs.data.dir:* directory where HDFS data blocks are stored,
   default value ${hadoop.tmp.dir}/dfs/data.
   -     *dfs.namenode.checkpoint.dir:* directory where secondary namenode
   store its checkpoints, default value is ${hadoop.tmp.dir}/dfs/namesecondary.

By default it uses the ${hadoop.tmp.dir}:
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/hdfs-default.xml

but one can provide comma-delimited list of directories paths to point to
multiple locations/disks to have them distributed.

HTH

-Rajesh

Re: hadoop.tmp.dir?

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.