Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com> on 2013/03/18 23:39:39 UTC

VMware and RuntimeFault class

Hi,

I've been playing around with VMware API commands to create a datastore.

In sample code I've found, they are throwing a RuntimeFault exception.

The problem is this class does not extend Throwable.

I admit...I'm totally confused about this.  How are they throwing an
exception that doesn't extend Throwable?  When I ask Eclipse to create a
try/catch block for me, it seems confused, as well?

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com

Re: VMware and RuntimeFault class

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Does CloudStack currently create datastores via vCenter or is that
something the user has to set up ahead of time (like doing the PreSetup
option with XenServer)?

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Hi guys,

I appreciate the comments - thanks!

I agree...just because it has Runtime in the name doesn't mean anything.

My problem is that the object they are throwing is from a class that does
not derive from Throwable at all...not only does it not derive from
RuntimeException or Exception, it just simply does not derive from
Throwable...yet they are throwing it.

Here is the sample code:

http://www.vmware.com/communities/content/developer/samplecode/java/CreateVmfsDatastore.html

retrieveProperties throws this exception:

http://www.jarvana.com/jarvana/view/net/java/dev/vcc/thirdparty/vi-api/4.0.0-2/vi-api-4.0.0-2-javadoc.jar!/com/vmware/vim25/RuntimeFault.html

Here is the specific code:

       ObjectContent[] ocs = service.retrieveProperties(

             content.getPropertyCollector(),

             new PropertyFilterSpec[] {pfSpec});
When I tell Eclipse to generate a try/catch block, this is what it
generates:

       ObjectContent[] ocs;

try {

 ocs = service.retrieveProperties(

         content.getPropertyCollector(),

         new PropertyFilterSpec[] {pfSpec});

} catch (InvalidProperty e) {

 // TODO Auto-generated catch block

 e.printStackTrace();

} catch (RuntimeFault e) {

 // TODO Auto-generated catch block

 e.printStackTrace();

}

The funny part is, once it generates this code, it complains that both
InvalidProperty and RuntimeFault must extend Throwable and don't.

Thoughts on this?

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Great - thanks, Min!

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.