Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/22 01:12:51 UTC

In trouble, proposing to subtract a process

I've managed to make some of the WSA policy tests fail.

These tests use the 'launch another process' discipline, which looks to
make it pretty tough to debug the server end of things. In fact, I can't
get them to run in Eclipse at all.

There was previous conversation about just allowing them to run all in
one process, like many of our other test do.

Please speak up if you find this distressing.

Re: In trouble, proposing to subtract a process

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>.
Hi

What I do to debug such tests is I comment out the content of startServers() and
and invoke the content of a run() directly from the test code...

> There was previous conversation about just allowing them to run all in
> one process, like many of our other test do.

But will it turn such tests into complicated unit tests ?

Cheers, Sergey

> I've managed to make some of the WSA policy tests fail.
>
> These tests use the 'launch another process' discipline, which looks to
> make it pretty tough to debug the server end of things. In fact, I can't
> get them to run in Eclipse at all.
>
> There was previous conversation about just allowing them to run all in
> one process, like many of our other test do.
>
> Please speak up if you find this distressing.

----------------------------
Registered Number: 171387

Re: In trouble, proposing to subtract a process

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 14:38 -0500, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> Benson,
>
> In general, just change the call of:
> launchServer(Server.class)
> to:
> launchServer(Server.class, true)
> which brings it in-process.

So, I did that, and I don't know how much spew I've caused. If you see
it spewing, tell me and I'll put it back.

Re: In trouble, proposing to subtract a process

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Benson,

In general, just change the call of:
launchServer(Server.class)
to:
launchServer(Server.class, true)
which brings it in-process.

I actually have no problem leaving it that way providing that when it
runs from the command line, it doesn't spit out a lot of crap to the
console.    A couple of the servers do print out things when they run
which gets captured in the forked version.

That said, I'd LIKE to add an option (probably a sys property or
something) to the forked processes to allow jpda debugging.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA