Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Richard de Vries <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2006/12/14 17:16:19 UTC

[users@httpd] loadbalancing with Apache - Sticky Sessions

I'm experiencing some problems with our loadbalancer
infrastructure over our Apache webservers and I've
been asked to set some sort of Session ID either in
the environment variables, or as part of the URL.

Something the loadbalancers can use to determine
session information.

I was thinking of mod_rewrite perhaps but I have not
been able to find any good information on generating
session IDs etc.

Does anyone have any good recommendations /
suggestions?

   Richard

Re: [users@httpd] loadbalancing with Apache - Sticky Sessions

Posted by Richard Lynch <ce...@l-i-e.com>.
On Thu, December 14, 2006 10:16 am, Richard de Vries wrote:
> I'm experiencing some problems with our loadbalancer
> infrastructure over our Apache webservers and I've
> been asked to set some sort of Session ID either in
> the environment variables, or as part of the URL.
>
> Something the loadbalancers can use to determine
> session information.
>
> I was thinking of mod_rewrite perhaps but I have not
> been able to find any good information on generating
> session IDs etc.
>
> Does anyone have any good recommendations /
> suggestions?

If you happen to be running PHP, and you happen to be able to
integrate this well, there are settings in php.ini called
"use_trans_sid" which tell PHP to put its session id into the URL.

PHP will automatically cram the session id into every link, every
form, every src= and so on, if you turn that on.

You may also want to look at the notes from this talk:
http://jasonrexilius.com/GloballyDistributedWebCluster.php
in which Jason Rexilius describes a method of storing the session data
itself in the cookie in section 5)

I think he's got a more article-oriented version online somewhere, but
it didn't turn up in my quick Google.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?

Re: [users@httpd] loadbalancing with Apache - Sticky Sessions

Posted by Richard de Vries <ri...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the info ... I am definately going to look
into this. From a quick glance I did learn that this
is trictly cookie based. Do you know of anything that
can generate a SID and attach it to the URL?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_usertrack.html

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.