Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Kaplan, Andrew H." <AH...@PARTNERS.ORG> on 2005/03/10 21:55:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Upgrading mod_ssl

Hi there --

I have several servers running Apache 1.3 with mod_ssl 2.8.12 and would like to
upgrade the latter to the latest version.
The procedure I had in mind was to download the latest versions of the Apache,
OpenSSL, MM, and Mod_SSL components
and subsequently install them over the existing programs. Is this the correct
procedure to follow, or is there a better method?

Re: [users@httpd] Upgrading mod_ssl

Posted by Noah <si...@onastick.net>.
On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 03:55:07PM -0500, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> The procedure I had in mind was to download the latest versions of the Apache,
> OpenSSL, MM, and Mod_SSL components
> and subsequently install them over the existing programs. Is this the correct
> procedure to follow, or is there a better method?

I generally manange everythings with symlinks, which allows for easy
rollback. So, for instance if your current layout was:

/usr/local/apache
/usr/local/apache/conf
/usr/local/apache/htdocs

etc, etc.

Move /usr/local/apache to /usr/local/apache-previous (or $VERSION) and
symlink /usr/local/apache-previous to /usr/local/apache. Install the new
apache into /usr/local/apache-new (or $NEWVERSION). When you're ready to
cut over, shut down apache, repoint the symlink, and start it back up.
You could also use something like graft
(http://www.gormand.com.au/peters/tools/graft/graft.html) or stow
(http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/) to manage this
for you, if you'd rather.

Installing over top is just a recipe for pain. =)

--n

--
<huey> dd of=/dev/fd0 if=/dev/flippy bs=1024
<huey> ^^^ Making Flippy Floppy