Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by "Michael J. Carey" <mj...@ics.uci.edu> on 2018/12/16 20:57:14 UTC

We have to fix our downloads and configurations

Naive users are routinely ending up with multiple node demo clusters and
not realizing what they are doing or getting.  Then they performance test
and judge the system accordingly.  Not beneficial!

Re: We have to fix our downloads and configurations

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.
If you look at https://asterixdb.apache.org/docs/0.9.4/ncservice.html,
which is prominently linked-to from the docs, what new users get is
information about "Starting a small single-machine cluster using the
NCService".  This is of course a bad idea for any real usage - it is
only useful as a sample, so that AsterixDB explorers can play around
with a "cluster" on their laptops. Unfortunately, moderately intelligent
users have actually been known to declare this as the ""sterixDB default
configuration and then benchmark the system against it, using other
systems and their default configurations.  We should have one CC and one
NC - and with spinning disks, one partition per device, and with SSD,
several partitions per device (determined by cores).  I think it's A Bad
Thing that what one currently gets, if one's not thinking, is something
we wouldn't want anyone to ever really use.....

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
At MapR (mostly unrelated to asterix), we deployed a system readiness test
that is intended to be run before installing our system.

The point is to set expectations. If a simple test says that your hardware
or network is deficient or severely misconfigured even before the real
software is installed, users are less likely to expect miracles.

See https://github.com/jbenninghoff/cluster-validation

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I didn't see the tweet that way.

The current difficulty (users installing non-production trial config and
using it inappropriately) is better than the converse (users not installing
production config because it is onerous to do and never using the software
at all).

Whether you make trial easier (and run the risk of inappropriate use) or
make defaults much more realistic for production use (and run the risk of
killing adoption) is a really hard question. In my $dayjob, we opt for the
second, but pay a stiff price. I think open source projects do much better
opting for adoption as Asterix has done.

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.