Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/31 14:37:45 UTC

A latent disclosure walked into a bar ...

So, respecting the icla, someone submits a patch to a project and
notifies that some university claims a patent on the algorithm
therein. The code is the 'original work' of the submitter. As a PMC
member, what do I do?

Re: A latent disclosure walked into a bar ...

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
It seems to me that this should have come up before and be fodder for
a web page.

I'm suspecting that the answer is going to be something like: 'it
depends on the degree of certainty of the infringement of the code on
the patent.'

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Geir.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
> I am just a simple PMC member. I may even be a simple-minded PMC
> member. As a matter of policy, should I and my colleagues attempt to
> judge the risk of litigation, or should any case like this come,
> specifically, to legal-discuss?

I personally think it's usually not worth worrying much about patent
infringement in most cases until a patent owner expresses concern, e.g.,
by threatening a user with litigation or demanding licensing fees.

Doug

Re: A latent disclosure walked into a bar ...

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Doug,

I am just a simple PMC member. I may even be a simple-minded PMC
member. As a matter of policy, should I and my colleagues attempt to
judge the risk of litigation, or should any case like this come,
specifically, to legal-discuss?

--benson

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Emmanuel,

I quite agree. As a PMC member, I need to know what to do when a less
cynical contributor shows up on the doorstep who has never read this
advice.

In the case at hand, someone turned up at Mahout and wrote, 'I've got
a student implementing PageRank, and I've heard that it is patented by
Stanford. What are the rules?'

I pointed him at the iCLA, which calls for contributors to disclose,
and I gently reminded him that 'having heard' is not the same thing as
'knowing.' Unfortunately, he did not take the hint, and is off asking
Stanford. Anticipating a patch, I'm wondering about the next step
after the contributor discloses. Geir's answer is a start.

--benson

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
On 5/31/11 9:05 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> This is not general legal advice outside of Apache. Do what your own company
> attorney orders you to do. But in Apache, read and learn!

Aye aye, sir !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

RE: A latent disclosure walked into a bar ...

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Jim Jagielski asked:
> So, in general, you feel that reading a patent, whether you think
> you infringe, think you dont't, or have no idea what infringe
> means, is generally a safe thing to do?
>
> I am honestly curious because we seem to go round-and-round
> with some people saying to avoid patents like the plague and
> others saying reading them are no big deal, no matter what.

Jim and others,

I have said, and I will say again, that the entire social purpose of patents
is to make inventions public. The notion that ignorance is bliss in such a
situation is ridiculous.

Others may disagree. I will say that I will willingly defend Apache Software
Foundation from stupid accusations of willful infringement merely because
Apache members try to understand a patent by reading it.

This is not general legal advice outside of Apache. Do what your own company
attorney orders you to do. But in Apache, read and learn!

/Larry

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
> On 5/31/2011 9:24 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> Sorry to interrupt, but for my education, please enlighten me : I have always been told
>> (not by lawyers, you guess) that the best is to specifically _not_ to check the patent,
>> and ignore it completely.
> Emmanuel, there is a significant difference between 1) exploring the
> entire patent sphere for any potential infringement, and 2) following
> due diligence when a specific patent is brought to the attention of a
> committer or the PMC.
>
> In the later case, "I won't read the patent" is not likely a safe defense,
> and particularly irksome if one of those who didn't read it happened to be
> the one aware of prior art that would invalidate the patent ;-)

Makes sense.

That answers a part of my question. And, yes, this patent system is just
totally insane.

One of the biggest problem we have, we european, is that most of the
countries we are living in don't allow any kind of software patent.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: A latent disclosure walked into a bar ...

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
I think you must make a difference what is trivial to YOU and what is trivial to the court. Seriously: would _you_ have granted the Amazon 1-click patent?

Again: this all is out of my head, so take this with some salt:

1st
There is also a huge difference in the triviality level between different countries (and even different court districts it seems). Not to mention that in Europe _officially_ there have been no pure software patents afaik. In Europe patents needed some part of 'technizität' (which means some kind of physical real world effect) to be granted. Though this has been holed a bit in the last 2 decades :(

2nd
You are right that the ALv2 has kind of a safety net for preventing us (=the foundation!) from getting sued. But (again, Larry please confirm) this imo doesn't help us if we act too carelessly! In some European countries there is a construct called 'Eventualtäter' . This construct originally comes from the criminal law [1], but I've seen it handled in civil cases in analogy. The term would translate to 'if you don't breach it deliberately but if you must seriously consider your action breaching a law and you nontheless do it'...

Thus said, I'm not sure if it is wise to just close our eyes in such cases and walk away without doing something against it!

LieGrue,
strub

[1] https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/Dokument.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Dokumentnummer=NOR12029546
§ 5. (1) second part of the sentence.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
[...]

I fear that discussing your patent problem in a 'general' manner would lead to a fat book full of 'if-then-else' answers. As for every correct answer, there is recursively always at least one exceptional case too...

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.