Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca on 2000/10/21 16:45:31 UTC

Pagination, Regions, Other...

Although there may be some refactoring and cleanup, I think I have the
pagination functionality up in the "fop-0_14_0_regions" branch that I want to
have.

I haven't managed to test every situation, obviously, but I think there is full
support for everything to do with pagination (page masters, page sequence
masters, region masters, page sequences, and flows), with the following
exceptions:

region-start;
region-end;
static-content into either of these 2 (obviously);
use of "last" in conditional-page-master-reference

"blank-or-not-blank" for fo:conditional-page-master-reference now exists. There
is full support for the "region-name" property, in conjunction with "flow-name"
on fo:static-content and fo:flow.

The big thing still, and I invite comment on this, particularly in light of the
fact that the new WD appears not to have changed any of the material related to
the above, is that I believe that page sequences can contain multiple fo:flow
objects, even though the BNF grammar for fo:page-sequence contradicts that
interpretation. But enough of the language in the spec leads one to the other
conclusion.

Furthermore, consider this scenario. You want a chapter, described by a page
sequence, to have _different_ odd-page and even-page content. Not that just the
page-masters differ, which is accomplished anyway with "repeatable-page-master-
alternatives", but that the region-body _content_ is different. Well, content
for region-body comes from an fo:flow, and if you need different content then
you need 2 fo:flows. I don't think this example is out to lunch, either - think
of an illustrated book with images on one side and caption and commentary on
the other. Alternating _content_, not just alternating _format_.

Anyhow, that's my take on it. Opinions are welcome.

I expect to merge the "fop-0_14_0_regions" branch back into the main branch
before the end of the month. I'm also thinking that that would be a good time
for another interim release, if there are no objections. Not just because of my
code, although I'm anxious to get it out there, but to keep the tempo up.

On another note, it strikes me that a useful immediate goal would be to have
FOP capable of rendering the XSL spec, to produce the same visual result as
that obtained using RenderX. My gut feeling is that we can't be that far away
from being able to do that now.

Arved

 This mail was sent through the Nova Scotia Provincial Server,
 with technical resources provided by Chebucto Community Net.
 http://nsaccess.ns.ca/mail/         http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/