Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike Duffy <md...@yahoo.com> on 2003/08/23 23:04:25 UTC

Total Linux Newbie Question

With all the Windows viruses going around, I've decided to spend the weekend switching from
Windows to Linux for my workstation at home.

Could someone please help me with a very basic question when running Tomcat under Linux:  When I
start Tomcat in the Linux terminal using "./startup.sh" I don't get to see any of the Tomcat
output.    In Windows I would get to see a scrolling DOS Window.

How can I get to see the output when running under Linux?

Thanks.

Mike

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Re: Total Linux Newbie Question

Posted by Luke Vanderfluit <lu...@chipcity.com.au>.
Hi Mike,

Good move!

> Could someone please help me with a very basic question when running Tomcat under Linux:  When I
> start Tomcat in the Linux terminal using "./startup.sh" I don't get to see any of the Tomcat
> output.    In Windows I would get to see a scrolling DOS Window.

open the startup.sh in an editor and change the last line where is says
'start' to 'run'

alternatively, simply do
'catalina.sh run'

same thing,

kind regards,
Luke

Posted by "Eric J. Pinnell" <er...@iCky.org>.
Hi,

That stuff is going to catalina.out in the logs directory.

-e

Posted by Ed Robbins <ed...@erobbins.com>.
Here's one of the best features of a Un*x based system.  Navigate your
way to the logs directory, typically $CATALINA_HOME/logs and you will
find the usual suspects for log files.  Now you can do a tail-f <log
name> and get real time output from the log file.

Ed