Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by eCap <ki...@verizon.net> on 2002/02/02 18:22:13 UTC

Location Directives and Perl Handlers...

Hi folks,
Another newbie question:  Does it make sense to create a Location directive
with a Perl Handler for each and every web transaction? I suppose more
information about what the pages are doing would be helpful but I'm really
just looking for some "rules of thumb".
I've created a site which uses a Location directive and a Handler for almost
all transactions.  Of course, all the pages are requesting information from
a database and the pages are being generated from a simple templating
scheme.  I just wanted to get a feel whether or not there's other approaches
to this architecture.

Thanks for the replies in advance...

Re: Location Directives and Perl Handlers...

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, eCap wrote:

> Does it make sense to create a Location directive
> with a Perl Handler for each and every web transaction?

Well of course it all depends on what the transactions are, but as a
rule I'd say probably not.  A mod_perl process can consume quite a lot
of resources.  If you are getting a load of straight requests for
image files that need no intervention from Perl then you should
probably just let Apache serve them.  Under a light load, most of the
time it won't really matter if you're using a mod_perl process to do
something which could be done by plain Apache, but if the server load
goes up it will start to make a difference.  If you don't have a plain
Apache running to serve the requests then you'll have to use a heavy
process for all requests anyway, and when the server gets busy you
might start to wish you had more memory...

73,
Ged.