Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Tim Mackey <tm...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/18 16:40:04 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Support pure Xen as a hypervisor

Historically CloudStack has used Xen and XenServer interchangeably to refer
to any XenAPI based implementation.  With the recent release of Xen Project
4.4 (http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2014/03/10/xen-4-4-released/), and
interest in alternate architectures like ARM, the loose definition of our
Xen support could be confusing.  In this two part effort I propose that
CloudStack 4.4 be cleansed to ensure that all Xen references become
XenServer references, and second that an alternate hypervisor type of
"XenProject" be introduced for pure Xen which could either support libvirt
or  libxl (preference for libvirt given the 4.4 work to improve the
interface and broader support for libvirt in general).

Cross posted to users to for broader comment.

-tim

Re: [PROPOSAL] Support pure Xen as a hypervisor

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <tu...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM, sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO, and sadly, we should treat them as two different hypervisors: XP and
> XS

Look like Docker and LXC :D

--Tuna

Re: [PROPOSAL] Support pure Xen as a hypervisor

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Support pure Xen as a hypervisor

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
+1

On Mar 18, 2014, at 8:40 AM, Tim Mackey <tm...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Historically CloudStack has used Xen and XenServer interchangeably to refer
to any XenAPI based implementation.  With the recent release of Xen Project
4.4 (http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2014/03/10/xen-4-4-released/), and
interest in alternate architectures like ARM, the loose definition of our
Xen support could be confusing.  In this two part effort I propose that
CloudStack 4.4 be cleansed to ensure that all Xen references become
XenServer references, and second that an alternate hypervisor type of
"XenProject" be introduced for pure Xen which could either support libvirt
or  libxl (preference for libvirt given the 4.4 work to improve the
interface and broader support for libvirt in general).

Cross posted to users to for broader comment.

-tim

Stratosec<http://stratosec.co/> - Compliance as a Service
o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella<http://twitter.com/johnlkinsella>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Support pure Xen as a hypervisor

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 18.03.2014 16:48, sebgoa wrote:
> +1 in general, I am not sure what would be best between libvirt and
> libxl though.
>
> but as you know there might be a quick path to reuse the KVM agent
> and use libvirt to interact with xenproject

+1 XenProject
+1 Reuse KVM/libvirt agent

Good ideas! :)

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: [PROPOSAL] Support pure Xen as a hypervisor

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Turner <St...@citrix.com>.
+1. I find it confusing that "Xen" is used for XenServer rather than XenProject, and I think it would be good to be explicit about which we mean in each case.

--
Stephen Turner

Posted by Alex Hitchins <al...@shapeblue.com>.
+1

Regards

Alex Hitchins

D: +44 1892 523 587 | S: +44 2036 030 540 | M: +44 7788 423 969

alex.hitchins@shapeblue.com

Historically CloudStack has used Xen and XenServer interchangeably to refer to any XenAPI based implementation.  With the recent release of Xen Project
4.4 (http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2014/03/10/xen-4-4-released/), and interest in alternate architectures like ARM, the loose definition of our Xen support could be confusing.  In this two part effort I propose that CloudStack 4.4 be cleansed to ensure that all Xen references become XenServer references, and second that an alternate hypervisor type of "XenProject" be introduced for pure Xen which could either support libvirt or  libxl (preference for libvirt given the 4.4 work to improve the interface and broader support for libvirt in general).

Cross posted to users to for broader comment.

-tim
Our CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/> offers the best 24/7 SLA for CloudStack Environments.

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Support pure Xen as a hypervisor

Posted by Marco Sinhoreli <ma...@shapeblue.com>.
+1

Marco Sinhoreli

Consultant Manager

Phone: +55 21 2586 6390 | Fax: +55 21 2586 6002 | Mobile: +55 21 98276
3636

Praia de Botafogo 501, bloco 1 - sala 101, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, RJ -
Brazil - CEP 22250-040

marco.sinhoreli@shapeblue.com| www.shapeblue.com
<http://www.shapeblue.com> | Twitter: @shapeblue
<https://twitter.com/shapeblue>

Apache CloudStack Bootcamp training courses:

**NEW!** CloudStack 4.2 training
<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>

intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based
upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the
sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue
Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India
LLP and ShapeBlue Brasil Consultoria LTDA are operated under license from

Posted by Marco Sinhoreli <ma...@shapeblue.com>.
+1