Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org> on 2023/03/02 14:28:14 UTC

Re: Varying dependency versions? Or sacrifice Hadoop-Auth module

How would its location in the repo address the problem?  If we release
something, we support that thing, and that means running tests.  How do we
run tests for a module that wants version X when Solr wants version Y?
Docker and high level integration tests could be an answer but that would
be a bunch of work.  And I suspect if we look at the tests for it (I
haven't) we'll see its testing details that may be impossible at an
integration level.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
It feels more natural for the Hadoop-ecosystem (and commercial vendors) to host a Solr HDFS integration, if they are in need for it for their platforms. It would receive more love if maintained in the hadoop ecosystem rather than in main solr.
The question of removal in 9.x depends on whether it poses a security risk on Solr, which it historically has due to the old dependencies. If no pressing security arguments, I feel we could still justify removal if the module gets a new home outside of the Solr project, and it is technically possible to use it with future 9.x releases, even if we keep upgrading our dependencies.

However, it is not "our job" to find a new home for it, strictly speaking. So announcing its deprecation in 9.2 but keeping it for at least a few more releases would be the most community-friendly move.

Jan

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.