Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Terence Kwan <te...@logicspace.com> on 2000/05/13 10:50:18 UTC

getContext causes NullPointerException in tomcat 3.1

I was using Orion server and I just tried tomcat with my source code.

I did:
ServletConfig config=getServletConfig();
ServletContext cx = config.getServletContent();
cx=cx.getContext(<the root URL of this servlet>);

It causes NullPointerException
at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletContextFacade.getContext(ServletContextFacade.jav:116)

Is it a known bug?

It does not have any problem in orion server.
I am running tomcat 3.1 + apache 1.3.12

Thanks

TK

Re: getContext causes NullPointerException in tomcat 3.1

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Terence Kwan wrote:

> I was using Orion server and I just tried tomcat with my source code.
>
> I did:
> ServletConfig config=getServletConfig();
> ServletContext cx = config.getServletContent();
> cx=cx.getContext(<the root URL of this servlet>);
>
> It causes NullPointerException
> at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletContextFacade.getContext(ServletContextFacade.jav:116)
>
> Is it a known bug?

The 99.9% cause of this is that you have an init method that looks like this:

    public void init(ServletConfig config) {
    }

but you don't call

    super.init(config)

inside.  Although this might work with Orion, it's guaranteed to cause null pointer
exception problems in many other engines.

> It does not have any problem in orion server.
> I am running tomcat 3.1 + apache 1.3.12
>
> Thanks
>
> TK

Craig McClanahan