Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk> on 2012/03/22 15:32:25 UTC

ssl/ssl_faq.xml: answer removed in 2.4 - reinstate or delete link?

In the 2.2 documentation, there is a section called `badcert` in
ssl/ssl_faq.xml, which states:
----------------------
*Why do connections fail with an "alert bad certificate" error?*
Errors such as OpenSSL: error:14094412: SSL
routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad certificate in the SSL
     logfile, are usually caused by a browser which is unable to handle
the server
     certificate/private-key. For example, Netscape Navigator 3.x is
     unable to handle RSA key lengths not equal to 1024 bits.
----------------------

In the 2.4 docs, this answer has been removed, yet the link to it in the
FAQ section still exists.
Is this link simply to be removed (an oversight), or should the answer
be reinstated?
Granted, the answer does seem to relate to something quite antiquated.

With regards,
Daniel.

RE: ssl/ssl_faq.xml: answer removed in 2.4 - reinstate or delete link?

Posted by Geoffrey Noakes <Ge...@symantec.com>.
Rich, we have contributed content before, but from our perspective  it falls into the Apache black hole, and we never hear from anyone about it.

We are willing to take on the rewriting of the SSL-related content for Apache, but it is important to us that this work ends up being useful and valuable to the Apache community - not just a make-work project.

"Direct" in my mind is a conf call with anyone at Apache on this.    Who is/are those people, and about whwn can we talk?

Thanks...

Geoff

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

What would constitute "direct" to you? Phone? Email? Skype? Let me know. You may contact me directly (rbowen@apache.org) for phone info if that helps.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen

RE: ssl/ssl_faq.xml: answer removed in 2.4 - reinstate or delete link?

That looks like my doing - I seem to have deleted too little.
Most of ssl/ssl_faq.xml is rubbish :-(

> > In the 2.2 documentation, there is a section called `badcert` in
> > ssl/ssl_faq.xml, which states:
> > ----------------------
> > Why do connections fail with an "alert bad certificate" error?
> > Errors such as OpenSSL: error:14094412: SSL
> >   routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3
> > alert bad certificate in the SSL
> >     logfile, are usually caused by a browser which is unable to
> >     handle the
> > server
> >     certificate/private-key. For example, Netscape Navigator 3.x is
> >     unable to handle RSA key lengths not equal to 1024 bits.
> > ----------------------
> >
> > In the 2.4 docs, this answer has been removed, yet the link to it
> > in the FAQ
> > section still exists.
> > Is this link simply to be removed (an oversight), or should the
> > answer be
> > reinstated?
> > Granted, the answer does seem to relate to something quite
> > antiquated.
> >

> I'd kill the link, the content would likely be misleading if someone
> had a similar symptom today.

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: ssl/ssl_faq.xml: answer removed in 2.4 - reinstate or delete link?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mar 23, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Igor Galić wrote:

> That looks like my doing - I seem to have deleted too little.
> Most of ssl/ssl_faq.xml is rubbish :-(

Yes, both the FAQ and the howto docs could stand to be completely scrapped. Unfortunately, SSL is one of the topics about which we seem to know the least. Someone prove me wrong. :)

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen

Re: ssl/ssl_faq.xml: answer removed in 2.4 - reinstate or delete link?

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.
That looks like my doing - I seem to have deleted too little.
Most of ssl/ssl_faq.xml is rubbish :-(

> > In the 2.2 documentation, there is a section called `badcert` in
> > ssl/ssl_faq.xml, which states:
> > ----------------------
> > Why do connections fail with an "alert bad certificate" error?
> > Errors such as OpenSSL: error:14094412: SSL
> >   routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3
> > alert bad certificate in the SSL
> >     logfile, are usually caused by a browser which is unable to
> >     handle the
> > server
> >     certificate/private-key. For example, Netscape Navigator 3.x is
> >     unable to handle RSA key lengths not equal to 1024 bits.
> > ----------------------
> >
> > In the 2.4 docs, this answer has been removed, yet the link to it
> > in the FAQ
> > section still exists.
> > Is this link simply to be removed (an oversight), or should the
> > answer be
> > reinstated?
> > Granted, the answer does seem to relate to something quite
> > antiquated.
> >

> I'd kill the link, the content would likely be misleading if someone
> had a similar symptom today.

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: ssl/ssl_faq.xml: answer removed in 2.4 - reinstate or delete link?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.