Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> on 2012/10/16 12:46:50 UTC

renaming "symmetric merge" (was: Re: svn commit: r1398597 - in /subversion/trunk/subversion: include/private/svn_client_private.h include/svn_client.h libsvn_client/merge.c svn/merge-cmd.c svn/mergeinfo-cmd.c)

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 01:08:26AM -0000, julianfoad@apache.org wrote:
> Author: julianfoad
> Date: Tue Oct 16 01:08:26 2012
> New Revision: 1398597

> Log:
> Make the symmetric merge APIs public.

Hey Julian, are you still planning to rename these APIs from "symmetric"
to "automatic" merge? I think "automatic" is a much better term to use
because it is somewhat easier to understand from the user's perspective.
Especially for new users who will start using Subversion at 1.8 or later
releases. The term "symmetric" only makes sense to people who understand
why "svn merge" behaviour wasn't symmetric in 1.7 and earlier releases.

Re: renaming "symmetric merge"

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
I (Julian Foad) wrote:

> Stefan Sperling wrote:
>>   Hey Julian, are you still planning to rename these APIs from "symmetric"
>>   to "automatic" merge? I think "automatic" is a much better term to use
>>   because it is somewhat easier to understand from the user's perspective.
>>   Especially for new users who will start using Subversion at 1.8 or later
>>   releases. The term "symmetric" only makes sense to people who understand
>>   why "svn merge" behaviour wasn't symmetric in 1.7 and earlier releases.
>
> Great, thanks for the feedback.  In that case, I'll do it.

r1399738.

- Julian

Re: renaming "symmetric merge"

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.