Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jm...@nde.ag> on 2019/01/02 13:36:30 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] acme-challenge folder exists but 404 contents

Hi Jerry,

Zitat von Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>:
> I have an apache install that has been up and running for months.  I
> use LetEncrypt for certificates.  I went to renew all of my
> certificates using an automated script that worked fine 3 months ago
> on the last refresh.  It failed on every domain saying the challenge
> file was not found.  I put a test.html file in
> /.well-known/acme-challenge folder, and tried to access it with a
> browser, and it gave me a 404.  After moving the test.html file
> around into other folders, it was found correctly in every folder
> except acme-challenge. [...]

what's in the Apache logs? The access log should report the 404, is
there anything related in the error logs?

Re: [users@httpd] acme-challenge folder exists but 404 contents

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
This sounds as if you have loaded "mod_md" and it has taken over the /.well-known/acme-challenge folder. This was a bug in that module which has been fixed in subsequent releases.

If you do not use mod_md, the easiest remedy is to not load it into your server.
If you want to use mod_md together with other Lets Encrypt clients such as certbot, you need to upgrade to a recent Apache httpd version or get the module from github and compile it yourself.

Hope this helps,

Stefan