Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de> on 2001/10/28 14:38:05 UTC

what's a validator

Hi,
you folks speak a lot about validators.
in which context are they used and what
is there job?

greets
gerhard

Re: what's a validator

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 00:38, Gerhard Froehlich wrote:
> Hi,
> you folks speak a lot about validators.
> in which context are they used and what
> is there job?

Basically when we talk about validators we are probably talking about some
component that validates configuration. So we may have DTD validator that
makes sure a component conforms to a DTD or XSchemaValidator that makes sure
it conforms to an XML Schema.

However we may also mean it as a general purpose component that makes sure
data conforms to specific rules. ie a Form validator would make sure that the
input parameters to GUI/servlet/other conform to a set of rules (ie all
fields supplied and validly formatted).

--
Cheers,

Pete

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability in the opponent." -- Sun Tzu

Re: what's a validator

Posted by Eung-ju Park <co...@apache.org>.
Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Gerhard Froehlich wrote:

> See the thread
>         RE: excalibur scratchpad: cache support
> in this thread word validator was used in the
> relation to the excalibur.Monitor
>
> but maybe it's a different context. I didn't found
> this word in the whole avalon documentation. So
> I get a little curiously.

It is a different Context.  Cocoon caching is looking
at using Excalibur's Monitor so that it can be notified
of changes to the source files on disk so the Cache can
remove the entry automatically.

In the Cocoon MRUStore (cache) parlance, a validator is
the object that identifies a cache entry as up to date.

> Cheers
> GErhard

"Those who would trade liberty for
 temporary security deserve neither"