Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by George Georgalis <ge...@galis.org> on 2006/09/28 19:32:03 UTC

in place checkout

I think I've got "in place add" down. But this is a
new problem.

there is a partition with a complex Apache
deployment in it.  There are a large number of
sockets, logs and similar that don't belong in the
repo, mixed in with files and directories that do.

so the situation is

/www/vhost/...
/www/apache2/...

are locations in the repo which work fine. the
running files (repo et al) are installed in
/usr/local

The problem is /usr/local/www/.svn does not
exist (for various reasons). I'd like to make
/usr/local/www a working copy which contains
www/Makefile www/Makefile.sh in addition to vhost
and apache2.

So how do I do that, in place?

// George

Re: in place checkout

Posted by George Georgalis <ge...@galis.org>.
On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 08:58:06PM +0200, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>On 9/28/06, George Georgalis <ge...@galis.org> wrote:
>>I think I've got "in place add" down. But this is a
>>new problem.
>>
>>there is a partition with a complex Apache
>>deployment in it.  There are a large number of
>>sockets, logs and similar that don't belong in the
>>repo, mixed in with files and directories that do.
>>
>>so the situation is
>>
>>/www/vhost/...
>>/www/apache2/...
>>
>>are locations in the repo which work fine. the
>>running files (repo et al) are installed in
>>/usr/local
>>
>>The problem is /usr/local/www/.svn does not
>>exist (for various reasons). I'd like to make
>>/usr/local/www a working copy which contains
>>www/Makefile www/Makefile.sh in addition to vhost
>>and apache2.
>>
>>So how do I do that, in place?
>
>There's a new feature in trunk (up for 1.5) which supports this: the
>--force parameter for 'svn checkout'. It'll use any files already in
>your working copy as wc files, adding .svn directories and text-bases
>from the repository. Any differences between the repository and local
>disk will be reported as modified by svn status.

perfect. that's the behavior I was looking to find. Thanks.

// George

Re: in place checkout

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 9/28/06, George Georgalis <ge...@galis.org> wrote:
> I think I've got "in place add" down. But this is a
> new problem.
>
> there is a partition with a complex Apache
> deployment in it.  There are a large number of
> sockets, logs and similar that don't belong in the
> repo, mixed in with files and directories that do.
>
> so the situation is
>
> /www/vhost/...
> /www/apache2/...
>
> are locations in the repo which work fine. the
> running files (repo et al) are installed in
> /usr/local
>
> The problem is /usr/local/www/.svn does not
> exist (for various reasons). I'd like to make
> /usr/local/www a working copy which contains
> www/Makefile www/Makefile.sh in addition to vhost
> and apache2.
>
> So how do I do that, in place?

There's a new feature in trunk (up for 1.5) which supports this: the
--force parameter for 'svn checkout'. It'll use any files already in
your working copy as wc files, adding .svn directories and text-bases
from the repository. Any differences between the repository and local
disk will be reported as modified by svn status.

HTH,

Erik.