Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Markus Heiden <ma...@s24.com> on 2015/05/05 15:55:32 UTC

SolrCloud collection properties

Hi,

we are trying to migrate from Solr 4.10 to SolrCloud 4.10. I understood
that SolrCloud uses collections as abstraction from the cores. What I am
missing is a possibility to store collection-specific properties in
Zookeeper. Using property.foo=bar in CREATE-URLs just sets core-specific
properties which are not distributed, e.g. if I migrate a shard from one
node to another.

How do I define collection-specific properties (to be used in
solrconfig.xml and schema.xml) which get distributed with the collection to
all nodes?

Why do I try that? Currently we have different cores which structure is
identical, but have each having some specific properties. I would like to
have a single configuration for them in Zookeeper from which I want to
create different collections, which just differ in the value of some
properties.

Markus

Re: SolrCloud collection properties

Posted by Markus Heiden <ma...@s24.com>.
We are currently having many custom properties defined in the
core.properties which are used in our solrconfig.xml, e.g.
         <str name="enabled">${solr.enable.cachewarming:true}</str>

Now we want to migrate to SolrCloud and want to define these properties for
a collection. But defining properties when creating a collection just
writes them into the core.properties of the created cores. This is a pain,
because we have a lot of properties and you have to specify each as an URL
parameter. Furthermore it seems that these properties are not propagated to
the cores for new shards, if you e.g. split a shard -> error-prone.

As you already mentioned, we could resolve this properties ourselves by
using many configsets instead of just one. My question was, if it is
possible to use just one configset in this case and specify collection
specific properties at the collection level? This seems for me the better
way to handle the configuration complexity.

Markus

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.