Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Arjohn Kampman <ar...@aduna-software.com> on 2010/05/26 16:23:29 UTC

parsing property streams from .msg files

Hi all,

Please excuse me if this has been asked before (couldn't find anything
in the archives), but does POI and/or HSMF supporting parsing of
properties from the property streams of msg files? Fixed length
properties values such as the send date seem to be stored directly in
this "__properties_version1.0" entry, rather than in the
"__substg1.0_XYZ" entries.

Arjohn Kampman, Senior Software Engineer
Aduna - Semantic Power
www.aduna-software.com

Re: parsing property streams from .msg files

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Wed, 26 May 2010, Arjohn Kampman wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response. I've been doing quite a bit of reading
> through these specs already. It looks fairly easy to parse this
> particular data stream.

The problem I always find with the outlook stuff is that the documentation
is strewn across a large number of files, and it's often a nightmare to
find where a given datastructure is defined when you're reading the bit
which says what datastructures make up a given chunk...

> I'll see what I can do wrt supplying patches.

Wonderful, will look forward to it! Do make sure you're using the latest
svn though to work on, as HSMF did gets lots of changes since 3.6

Nick

Re: parsing property streams from .msg files

Posted by Arjohn Kampman <ar...@aduna-software.com>.
On 26/05/2010 16:33, Nick Burch wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010, Arjohn Kampman wrote:
>> Please excuse me if this has been asked before (couldn't find anything
>> in the archives), but does POI and/or HSMF supporting parsing of
>> properties from the property streams of msg files? Fixed length
>> properties values such as the send date seem to be stored directly in
>> this "__properties_version1.0" entry, rather than in the
>> "__substg1.0_XYZ" entries.
>
> There have been quite a bit of work on HSMF since 3.6 came out, so
> you'll probably want to grab a recent svn checkout / nightly build
>
> However, in answer to your question, there's not currently any support
> for reading data out of the properties stream, no. It would be good to
> have this added in though. I'd suggest you look through the various
> Microsoft file format docs for outlook (there's over a dozen if memory
> serves...), and try to identify the one that specifies the
> __properties_version stream. With that, it shouldn't be too hard to add
> in the support to HSMF, and a patch would certainly be welcome! :)

Thanks for the quick response. I've been doing quite a bit of reading
through these specs already. It looks fairly easy to parse this
particular data stream. I'll see what I can do wrt supplying patches.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.