Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com> on 2014/01/07 07:59:42 UTC

Attach a persistance volume to an instance startup

Hi,

I was in the process of implementing $subject for Stratos. I was able to
attach a volume in Amazon EC2. Though the volume is attached, currently we
have to mount the volume manually. Following are the solutions that I am
thinking of now.

1) send the volume disk name via payload so within the agent shell script
we can manually mount the volume.
2) find a way of mounting using jclouds
2) find a way to automatically mount from the IAAS side.

I think 1) is  possible. Any better suggestions appreciated?

--
Udara Liyanage
Software Engineer

web: http://udaraliyanage.wordpress.com
phone: +94 71 443 6897

Re: Attach a persistance volume to an instance startup

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
Yes option 1 would be clean and easier to handle.
In addition to this we might need to un-mount the volume(s) when the
instance is shutting down.

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Yes this is optional. This is for data cartridges like mysql, momgodb to
recover data even after an instance crashes.

Touched, not typed. Erroneous words are a feature, not a typo.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Yes, the idea is to let both Cartridge provider and the person who
subscribes, decide whether they require a persistent volume.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@wso2.com>wrote:

> This is optional right? That is, most instances will not need a persistent
> disk right?
>

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was in the process of implementing $subject for Stratos. I was able to
>> attach a volume in Amazon EC2. Though the volume is attached, currently we
>> have to mount the volume manually. Following are the solutions that I am
>> thinking of now.
>>
>> 1) send the volume disk name via payload so within the agent shell script
>> we can manually mount the volume.
>> 2) find a way of mounting using jclouds
>> 2) find a way to automatically mount from the IAAS side.
>>
>> I think 1) is  possible. Any better suggestions appreciated?
>>
>> --
>> Udara Liyanage
>> Software Engineer
>> WSO2, Inc.: http://wso2.com
>> lean. enterprise. middleware
>>
>> web: http://udaraliyanage.wordpress.com
>> phone: +94 71 443 6897
>>

> --
> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
> email: sanjiva@wso2.com; office: +1 650 745 4499 x5700; cell: +94 77 787
> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.
Senior Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.

Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

Re: Attach a persistance volume to an instance startup

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Udara,

But that would make data to be replicated only at the start-up of the new
instance. But I think what we need is a continuous data replication.

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
If I further explain the implementation design, When we create a cartridge
definition, we can give whether it is required a persistence volume. Then
subscription time, there will be a option to request persistence volume,
and it validate the auto scaling policy. Then the Cloud Controller will
create a volume and attache to the create instance, and pass detail into
instance via the payload. So cartridge creator, when the cartridge creation
phase, have to take this into how it can use for the particular cartridge.
(like formatting, mounting ..etc). Also CC will update the topology with
these volume details under member information. Then the event of member
crashed or terminate, AS and CC will make sure re-attached the above volume
to replaced instance.

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

* cell: +94 77 3320919 blog: **http://blog.afkham.org*<http://blog.afkham.org>