Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Bijay Bisht <bi...@siftsec.com> on 2015/09/21 20:42:43 UTC

How do I achieve round robin based partitioning for topic?

Hi,

I am using kafka_2.10-0.8.2.0. Per documentation I just need to invoke the Producer API send without the key and that would result in a round robin based partitioning, but I only see one particular partition getting all the data.

Bijay

Re: How do I achieve round robin based partitioning for topic?

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
Are you using the old or new producer? That sounds like the behavior the
old producer had -- it would stick to the same partition for awhile (10
minutes if I remember correctly). The new producer does not have this
behavior, preferring to round-robin the *available* brokers. Note that
since it round robins available producers, you may still see an uneven
split of data if one of your brokers is down or partitioned for some time.

-Ewen

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Bijay Bisht <bi...@siftsec.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using kafka_2.10-0.8.2.0. Per documentation I just need to invoke the
> Producer API send without the key and that would result in a round robin
> based partitioning, but I only see one particular partition getting all the
> data.
>
> Bijay

Ewen