Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ravi Shekhar <rx...@po.cwru.edu> on 2004/04/21 05:57:14 UTC

Svn through apache access issues.

Hi,

I've been trying to set up an svn server on a Fedora Core 1 machine
through apache for a day or so. I've looked through the svnbook and the
archives of this list, but I can't seem to find a solution to my
problem. I am unable to get another computer to access the repository
over http, but the local filesystem works fine.

First, this is my apache config block.
(/etc/httpd/conf.d/subversion.conf). I'm not trying to do any
authentication at this point, I can get that working later. It all loads
successfully so I'm assuming I'm doing this correctly.
#CODE------------------------------------------------------
#LoadModule dav_module         modules/mod_dav.so (already loaded elsewhere)
LoadModule dav_svn_module     modules/mod_dav_svn.so
<Location /svn>
   DAV svn
   SVNPath /home/svn
#
#   # Limit write permission to list of valid users.
#    <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
#      # Require SSL connection for password protection.
#     # SSLRequireSSL
#     AuthType Basic
#     AuthName "Subversion"
#     AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/auth-svn
#     Require valid-user
#   </LimitExcept>
</Location>
#------------------------------------------------------

I installed the 1.01 rpms available for FC1. The hostname of the server
is Octavia. This is what I did next. All access works just fine from the
local file system. No problems. I can add, commit, everything.

#CODE------------------------------------------------------
[root@octavia home]# cd /home; mkdir svn
[root@octavia home]# svnadmin create svn/
[root@octavia home]# chmod -R 777 svn/
[root@octavia home]# cd svn
[root@octavia svn]# ls -alh
total 36K
drwxrwxrwx   7 root root 4.0K Apr 21 01:34 .
drwxr-xr-x  19 root root 4.0K Apr 21 01:34 ..
drwxrwxrwx   2 root root 4.0K Apr 21 01:34 conf
drwxrwxrwx   2 root root 4.0K Apr 21 01:34 dav
drwxrwxrwx   2 root root 4.0K Apr 21 01:34 db
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root    2 Apr 21 01:34 format
drwxrwxrwx   2 root root 4.0K Apr 21 01:34 hooks
drwxrwxrwx   2 root root 4.0K Apr 21 01:34 locks
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root root  376 Apr 21 01:34 README.txt
[root@octavia svn]# cd ..
[root@octavia home]# svn mkdir file:///home/svn/foo (brings up editor
and I enter a message)
[root@octavia home]# svn co file:///home/svn/foo
Checked out revision 1.
[root@octavia foo]# service httpd restart
Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
#------------------------------------------------------

Now this is what I tried to do from another computer (Olivia). It also
is Fedora Core 1 and I installed from the same rpms. No firewall is
interfering in any way. I allowed word read-write on the repository so
it can't be an insufficient permissions error.

#CODE------------------------------------------------------
[root@olivia tmp]# svn co http://octavia/svn/foo
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/foo'
svn:
Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

Re: Svn through apache access issues.

Posted by Ravi Shekhar <rx...@po.cwru.edu>.
I just tried that and restarted httpd. I still get the exact same error.
The xml looks like this.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<D:error xmlns:D="DAV:" xmlns:m="http://apache.org/dav/xmlns" xmlns:C="svn:">
<C:error/>
<m:human-readable errcode="2">
Could not open the requested SVN filesystem
</m:human-readable>
</D:error>

Ravi

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.

Posted by Christophe Labouisse <ga...@tigris.org>.
Do you have any interesting entry in apache error_log file ?

--
Le cinéma en Lumière : http://www.lumiere.org/

Re: Svn through apache access issues.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> I installed the 1.01 rpms available for FC1. The hostname of the server
> is Octavia. This is what I did next. All access works just fine from the
> local file system. No problems. I can add, commit, everything.
>
> #CODE------------------------------------------------------
> [root@octavia home]# cd /home; mkdir svn
> [root@octavia home]# svnadmin create svn/
> [root@octavia home]# chmod -R 777 svn/
> [root@octavia home]# cd svn
> [root@octavia svn]# ls -alh

[ snip ]

> [root@octavia svn]# cd ..
> [root@octavia home]# svn mkdir file:///home/svn/foo (brings up editor
> and I enter a message)
> [root@octavia home]# svn co file:///home/svn/foo
> Checked out revision 1.

and here you should hava chmodded -R 777 svn/ too; look in your svn/db
directory. You'll find files which don't have accessrights 777. Local access
messes up the access rights you setup for the server, without the right
precautions.

bye,

Erik.