Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Scott Wegner <sc...@apache.org> on 2019/01/24 22:43:09 UTC

Replacing visteg plugin with task-tree for Gradle task visualization

I wanted to give a heads-up that PR#7615 [1] replaces the 'visteg' Gradle
plugin used in our build to produce .dot-file representation of the task
build graph. The plugin [2] appears to be abandoned and is not compatible
with Gradle 5.0 [3]

The PR replaces it with a different plugin, 'com.dorongold.task-tree' [4],
which provides similar functionality. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the
ability to produce a .dot-file, but instead outputs an ASCII tree of build
tasks on the command-line.

This functionality is useful for debugging build issues. Once the change is
merged I will update the wiki [5] with usage instructions.

[2] https://github.com/mmalohlava/gradle-visteg
[3] https://github.com/mmalohlava/gradle-visteg/issues/12
[4] https://github.com/dorongold/gradle-task-tree
[5]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BEAM/Gradle+Tips#GradleTips-VisualizingTaskDependencies

--

Got feedback? tinyurl.com/swegner-feedback