Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2013/07/15 23:01:29 UTC

RAT: Configuration [WAS Re: [GSOC] Rat: Past, Present and Future]

On 07/08/13 21:10, P. Ottlinger wrote:

<snip>

> Apart from the stuff you mentioned I'd prefer to inject the
> configuration as well to not pollute pom.xml files with that - currently
> it's quite a pain to use the tool since you have to configure rat twice.

So, some sort of descriptor...? Perhaps in the project...?

Or did you have something else in mind...?

Any other ideas...?

Alternatives...?

Robert

Re: RAT: Configuration [WAS Re: [GSOC] Rat: Past, Present and Future]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 07/19/13 06:43, P. Ottlinger wrote:
> Hi *.
>
> Am 15.07.2013 23:01, schrieb Robert Burrell Donkin:
>>> Apart from the stuff you mentioned I'd prefer to inject the
>>> configuration as well to not pollute pom.xml files with that - currently
>>> it's quite a pain to use the tool since you have to configure rat twice.
>>
>> So, some sort of descriptor...? Perhaps in the project...?
>
> I thought of a very short desciptor (JSON or XML) that just defines the
> target licence.
>
> Each licence needs to have a key/implementation class pair so that a
> configuration may look like that:
>
> rat-config.json
> {
>      "rat-config": {
>          "licence": "GPL3",
>          "implementation": "org.apache.foo.GPL3Licence.java",
>          "level": "ERROR"
>      }
> }
>
> level could be ERROR / MESSAGE / REPORT meaning that either a message is
> just printed, a report file is generated or the build is broken.
>
> One could try to make implementation optional and guess the correct
> implementation by matching it magically to the list of available
> licences (currently the static variables, that may be changed into
> enumerations of all supported licences).
>
> Just a sketch without thinking about implemenation details ;-)

:-)

So, we're looking to introduce some sort of pluggable strategy for policy...

Sounds good

Posted by "P. Ottlinger" <po...@aiki-it.de>.
Hi *.

Am 15.07.2013 23:01, schrieb Robert Burrell Donkin:
>> Apart from the stuff you mentioned I'd prefer to inject the
>> configuration as well to not pollute pom.xml files with that - currently
>> it's quite a pain to use the tool since you have to configure rat twice.
>
> So, some sort of descriptor...? Perhaps in the project...?

I thought of a very short desciptor (JSON or XML) that just defines the
target licence.

Each licence needs to have a key/implementation class pair so that a
configuration may look like that:

rat-config.json
{
    "rat-config": {
        "licence": "GPL3",
        "implementation": "org.apache.foo.GPL3Licence.java",
        "level": "ERROR"
    }
}

level could be ERROR / MESSAGE / REPORT meaning that either a message is
just printed, a report file is generated or the build is broken.

One could try to make implementation optional and guess the correct
implementation by matching it magically to the list of available
licences (currently the static variables, that may be changed into
enumerations of all supported licences).

Just a sketch without thinking about implemenation details ;-)

Phil