Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by sh...@e-z.net on 2012/09/12 00:47:18 UTC

dist/xalan - Apache XML Cleanup

Hello Henk,

I am providing this discussion on the XALAN developer's list.

For the benefit of our contributors, the Apache XML project
will be retired soon and the the following distributions will
be moved:

  (dist)/xml/xalan-c  -> (dist)/xalan/xalan-c

  (dist)/xml/xalan-j  -> (dist)/xalan/xalan-j

The (dist)/xml/xalan-c  also relies on (dist)/xml/xerces-c

I have a question:  Are the following archives to remain intact?

  (dist-archive)/xml/xalan-c
  (dist-archive)/xml/xalan-j
  (dist-archive)/xml/xerces-c

Answer to the (dist-archive) question may affect our website
links.  These archives may also affect our future release
planning - albeit small.  Our website changes can be tested
on my developer site.

   http://people.apache.org/~shathaway/docs/xalan

My website is built with the current sources and ready to
publish to the Xalan TLP "svnpubsub" repository.  I have
tested the (dist) repository links and can commit/publish
the changes at any time.

The distribution repository (dist)/xalan/ already exists
and has a README.txt file at the top for proof of access.

We still plan to use the current (dist) method of publishing
our (mirror) content for distributions.  We may move to the
distribution "svnpubsub" at some future date.

Henk!  Thanks much for your advise! {;>)

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hathaway
Xalan Documentation Project

P.S;  Please include Henk Penning (representing Apache INFRA)
in your correspondence.  Henk is not a member of our lists.

Re: dist/xalan - Apache XML Cleanup

Posted by "Steven J. Hathaway" <sh...@apache.org>.
Henk,

I will post this message to Jira INFRA for your tracking.

Information you have provided on behalf of INFRA has helped
us with the planning for our website links.

The links in our website pages are now compatible with a
move.  If you could do some XML Project (dist) cleanup
before the move, it would be appreciated.

1.  (dist)/xml/xalan-c/HEADER.html

This file is set with permissions (644).  This file notifies
users that the Apache XML/Xalan has moved to Apache XALAN.
There is a webpage link to the XML/Xalan-C archives.

This file does not need to be copied to (dist)/xalan/

2.  (dist)/xml/xalan-c/KEYS       -> (dist)/xalan/xalan-c/KEYS

This file contains the PGP keys to validate our distributions.
It should be copied if the current sub-directories are copied.

3.  Directories of distribution artifacts
     (dist)/xml/xalan-c/binaries/  -> (dist)/xalan/xalan-c/binaries/
     (dist)/xml/xalan-c/docs/      -> (dist)/xalan/xalan-c/docs/
     (dist)/xml/xalan-c/source/    -> (dist)/xalan/xalan-c/source/

These directories of distribution artifacts are ready to move.

Do Not Copy or Move the Unix pointers in (dist)/xml/xalan-c/

4.  (dist)/xml/xalan-j/KEYS       -> (dist)/xalan/xalan-j/KEYS

This file contains the PGP keys to validate our distributions.
It should be copied if the current sub-directories are copied.

5.  Directories of distribution artifacts
     (dist)/xml/xalan-j/binaries/  -> (dist)/xalan/xalan-j/binaries/
     (dist)/xml/xalan-j/source/    -> (dist)/xalan/xalan-j/source/

These directories of distribution artifacts are ready to move.

Do Not Copy or Move the Unix pointers in the (dist)/xml/xalan-j/

-------

The current Xalan project website links are now configured to
retrieve the distribution artifacts from the (archive-dist).
The links we have to (dist)/xml/xalan-c have now been assigned
to the (archive-dist).  The links we have to (dist)/xml/xalan-j
have now been assigned to the (achive-dist).

I will go ahead and publish our Xalan website pages with the
new links as described.

After the move above has been made, I can make the necessary
edits for current versions of Xalan projects to reference the
(dist)/xalan/* (mirror) sites.

Completion of these tasks should allow the Apache XML to be
retired without any affect on the Xalan projects.  We will still
need (archive-dist)/xml/* to remain intact.

Posted by sh...@e-z.net.

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.