Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net> on 2001/02/09 05:18:33 UTC

Tomcat 4 status

I was wondering what the status of getting Tomcat 4 ready for its next
beta release currently is.  I have finished implementing the Java SecurityManager
and the changes to jasper class loading. I know we took a step back to make a few
architectural changes.  Are those all in place now?  Can we move toward
another beta release?   Whats the status of mod_webapp and the Warp connector?

Regards,

Glenn

mod_webapp status??

Posted by Dave Bettin <ja...@yahoo.com>.
What is the status of the warp connector?

I am currently using catalina/jasper in a production
environment. But I definitely have need for
mod_webapp.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Tomcat 4 status

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Craig R. McClanahan <Cr...@eng.sun.com> wrote:

> [..] Other than that, there is only one API change I want to include before
> beta 2 -- extended lifecycle support for the Connector interface that will
> allow us to ultimately support Tomcat standalone on port 80 through the use of
> a platform-specific native code module.  There are also several issues in
> Bugzilla that need to be evaluated.

I'm following JSR-096 that actually deals with those issues, but there
doesn't seem to be the idea of a quick "standard" solution, at least on the
timeframe we're talking about for TC/4.0.
So, I'll just go ahead and do it "following the same principles" but
actually with a different implementation...

> I will let Pier speak to the mod_webapp/Warp connector.

Still need to protect the code for multi-threading under Apache 2.0, or at
least disable the multiplexing feature...

    Pier

Pier P. Fumagalli                              <ma...@betaversion.org>

Re: Tomcat 4 status

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> I was wondering what the status of getting Tomcat 4 ready for its next
> beta release currently is.  I have finished implementing the Java SecurityManager
> and the changes to jasper class loading. I know we took a step back to make a few
> architectural changes.  Are those all in place now?  Can we move toward
> another beta release?   Whats the status of mod_webapp and the Warp connector?

There is currently a serious issue with sealing violations when you put
Xerces in
WEB-INF/lib -- that really needs to be fixed (I'm actively working on
that).  Other
than that, there is only one API change I want to include before beta 2
-- extended
lifecycle support for the Connector interface that will allow us to
ultimately
support Tomcat standalone on port 80 through the use of a
platform-specific native
code module.  There are also several issues in Bugzilla that need to be
evaluated.

I will let Pier speak to the mod_webapp/Warp connector.

> Regards,
>
> Glenn

Craig

Re: Tomcat 4 status

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> I was wondering what the status of getting Tomcat 4 ready for its next
> beta release currently is.  I have finished implementing the Java
SecurityManager
> and the changes to jasper class loading. I know we took a step back to
make a few
> architectural changes.  Are those all in place now?

I think so, and I'm +1 on going forward with a new beta release.
The only outstanding issues remaining are:
- Jasper reliance on getRealPath()
- sealing violations in the classloader when using Xerces

> Can we move toward another beta release?

I'm +1 for that, but Craig may want to have the issues mentioned above
addressed first.

Remy