Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Farrukh Najmi <fa...@wellfleetsoftware.com> on 2009/01/15 15:29:36 UTC

Using maven with eclipse

Hello,

I am experienced with maven but new to Eclipse IDE. I have used maven
with Netbeans IDE and the mevenide Netbeans plugin. WHat I liked about
it was how Netbeans was completely driven by the pom configuration and
how natural and familiar everything was for a maven user.

I would like to try Eclipse IDE with my existing multi-module project.
What is the best approack for doing this? Which plugin should I use?
Please share any links and pointers. Thanks.

Farrukh

Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com

Re: Using maven with eclipse

Posted by Martin Höller <ma...@xss.co.at>.
On Thursday 15 January 2009 Farrukh Najmi wrote:
> I am experienced with maven but new to Eclipse IDE. I have used maven
> with Netbeans IDE and the mevenide Netbeans plugin. WHat I liked about
> it was how Netbeans was completely driven by the pom configuration and
> how natural and familiar everything was for a maven user.
>
> I would like to try Eclipse IDE with my existing multi-module project.
> What is the best approack for doing this? Which plugin should I use?
> Please share any links and pointers. Thanks.

See [0] for a comparison of the available plugins.

The maven-eclipse-plugin just creates eclipse configuration files for your
projects, no further intergration. This is simple, quite robust but doesn't
provide as much comfort as the other two options.

I didn't use m2eclipse or q4e recently but they follow a completely
different approach. They are plugins for eclipse and try to adapt your IDE
and add new features to it.

If you search the list archive you should find some more information. This
question is asked every now and then.

hth,
- martin

[0] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Eclipse+Integration

RE: Using maven with eclipse

Posted by Eugene Kuleshov <eu...@md.pp.ru>.

Adam Leggett wrote:

> I tend to lean to [2], but then I'm happier just using command line
> mojos to get some of the additional value add that's in [1] (and it does
> have some pretty slick features, which you'll see if you try it). For
> example, I'd do something like  mvn dependency:tree > deps.log  etc.
> Just feels like an instinctively lighter approach which I prefer.

  The m2eclipse provides a nice an interactive UI for that command. You can
see how it look like at
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/M2ECLIPSE/Maven+POM+editor#MavenPOMeditor-DependencyHierarchyviewer

  The upcoming m2eclipse 0.9.7 release should be very exiting. The following
wiki page provides and overview of the new and noteworthy features
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/M2ECLIPSE/New+and+Noteworthy#NewandNoteworthy-latest

  regards,
  Eugene

Re: Using maven with eclipse

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
there's also Eclipse IAM (formerly Q4E) http://code.google.com/p/q4e/

re: dependency tree, I use all the time Q4E dependency analysis

http://code.google.com/p/q4e/wiki/DependencyAnalysis

RE: Using maven with eclipse

Re: Using maven with eclipse

Posted by Deron Eriksson <jo...@codestrategies.com>.
Hi Farrukh,

If you're interested in development that involves the maven-eclipse-plugin,
I created a series of tutorials (80+) a few months ago that cover Java
development using Eclipse and Maven. The main approach using this technique
is to execute maven commands on projects via Eclipse external tool
configurations (so that you can click on a project and run a maven goal on
that project). In this approach, Eclipse/Maven integration is very minimal
(you basically let maven be maven most of the time). Topics include Eclipse
user libraries, web applications, and a multi-module project. The tutorials
are located at:

http://www.avajava.com/tutorials/categories/maven
http://www.avajava.com/tutorials/categories/maven

If you're interested in tightly integrated features rather than the bare
bones approach, the m2eclipse plugin is great. The ability to search for
classes and automatically add a dependency to your project in Eclipse is a
really fantastic feature.

Deron Eriksson