Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Echerer <me...@tngtech.com> on 2004/06/12 13:43:49 UTC

Re: Using Tomcat's HTTP processor and SSL

Jim Kennedy wrote:

> I am considering using Tomcat alone as my HTTP server as well as my servlet
> container with SSL.  I know a lot of people use Apache HTTP Server instead
> of Tomcat for this and Tomcat is just the servlet container only.
>
> Is there any reason why I should not use just Tomcat alone for this.  I'm
> actually using JBOSS with Tomcat, but Tomcat still handles the HTTP
> requests.  I have no static pages on my site.
>
> Seems like a hassle to configure a separate server (Apache HTTP) when I
> don't have to.
In case you don't need loadbalacing, you can live without Apache in that
scenario.

> Also, are there any difficulties configuring Tomcat with SSL?
It's not more difficult than using Apache. I would say it's even easier
to setup Tomcat than Apache for SSL.

But note: You should NOT use Tomcat+SSL, if you expect high HTTPS load.
Standard Java&SSL is not too fast. In my load tests Apache/Tomcat is
much faster for HTTPS than standalone Tomcat HTTPS, but it doesn't make
a difference for HTTP (at least as long as you also have dynamic content).