Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Bryan W. Headley" <bw...@earthlink.net> on 2005/04/26 01:32:05 UTC

Collections 3.2/4.0 questions

Guys,

What are the plans, RE generics support being put into
Commons-Collections? I'm in the middle of doing a conversion right now;
I'm aware of a Collections 2.0(?) based port on sourceforge...

Bryan

Re: Collections 3.2/4.0 questions

Posted by Chris Lambrou <ma...@chrislambrou.com>.
Hi Bryan,

After some discussions on the subject some time ago, it was decided that
collections should concentrate on maintaining supporting for earlier JDK
versions, whilst the Java 5.0 port should not carry over any Java 1.4
baggage and concentrate on providing the same functionality as
collections but with the freedom to make full use of the new 5.0
language features. This 5.0 port was started on SourceForge since there
weren't any commons committers who were able to commit to overseeing a
5.0. port under the Apache Jakarta sandbox, but the aim is to bring the
development from SourceForge to the sandbox once it has advanced
sufficiently to attract the attentions of one or more commons
committers.Sadly there's not been as much development on the Java 5.0
port in recent weeks as I'd like, as there are only a small number of
other developers and I've had some more pressing problems to deal with
both at home and at work. Any contributions, either code or comments,
would be much appreciated, especially as I plan to revisit the port over
the next few weeks to try and help move it along some more.

Chris

P.S. Sorry I got your first name wrong in my previous post. I'm in a bit
of a rush to get to work, so didn't read it as clearly as I should have.