Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Paul Smith <Pa...@lawlex.com.au> on 2003/05/20 03:47:55 UTC

SocketReceiver & Listeners

Hi All,

As part of the Chainsaw v2 development over in the sandbox, I was hoping to
be able to provide some visual cues that a connection has been established
between the local log4j system and some remote host, as well as some
feedback that some tab (which might not be visible) is receiving events.

So, I was hoping to be able to attach a Chainsaw class as a listener to each
of the SocketReceivers defined in the configuration, and be notified when
new connections are made.

To do this requires some changes, outlined below:

* PluginRegistry - it'd be nice to be able to query for all Plugins of type
SocketReceiver (or any of the other Net based receivers) - I may be blind
and this is already provided by some other class...

* SocketReceiver/SocketEventListener - to modify the listener interface and
add a socketCreated method to be notified of socket creation, and modify
SocketReceiver to allow classes to register interest in ALL created sockets
and their events.

If anyone has any comments objectsions on this approach I would appreciate
it.

cheers,
Paul Smith
Lawlex Compliance Solutions