Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pavan Kasarla <ka...@siu.edu> on 2015/05/16 04:28:02 UTC

Issue in setting up SHA2 certificate with tomcat6

Hi,
     I am trying to configure SHA2 algorithm certificates with tomcat6 in centos 6. I have created a keystore of format "JKS" using keytool and imported the certificate and intermediates to the keystore. When i restart the tomcat, logs do not show any kind of errors it starts up normally but when i try to connect to host from a browser it shows the following error

my system configuration

OS : centos
tomcat 6
java1.7.x

In chrome
Version 39.0.2171.71 (64-bit)

SSL connection error
Hide detailsUnable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.
Error code: ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

In firefox it shows
Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s). (Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

tomcat configuration for the certificate in server.xml
<Connector port="8443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
                maxSpareThreads="75" enableLookups="false" disableUploadTimeout="true"
                acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true" SSLEnabled="true"
                keystoreFile="/etc/tomcat6/xxxxx.jks"
                keystorePass="xxxxxx"
                clientAuth="false"  sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1, TLSv1.1, TLSv1.2" />

When i change the tomcat keystore with another certificates of SHA1 algorithm everything works fine.

Thanks
Pavan

Re: Issue in setting up SHA2 certificate with tomcat6

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Pavan,

(Note: only a single post is necessary)

On 5/15/15 10:28 PM, Pavan Kasarla wrote:
> I am trying to configure SHA2 algorithm certificates with tomcat6
> in centos 6. I have created a keystore of format "JKS" using
> keytool and imported the certificate and intermediates to the
> keystore. When i restart the tomcat, logs do not show any kind of
> errors it starts up normally but when i try to connect to host from
> a browser it shows the following error
>

> my system configuration
>
> OS : centos tomcat 6

Specifically, which Tomcat version are you using?

> java1.7.x
>
> In chrome Version 39.0.2171.71 (64-bit)
>
> SSL connection error Hide detailsUnable to make a secure connection
> to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be
> requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.
> Error code: ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR
>

> In firefox it shows Cannot communicate securely with peer: no
> common encryption algorithm(s). (Error code:
> ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)
>
> tomcat configuration for the certificate in server.xml <Connector
> port="8443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxThreads="150"
> minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75" enableLookups="false"
> disableUploadTimeout="true" acceptCount="100" scheme="https"
> secure="true" SSLEnabled="true"
> keystoreFile="/etc/tomcat6/xxxxx.jks" keystorePass="xxxxxx"
> clientAuth="false"  sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1, TLSv1.1, TLSv1.2"
> />
>
> When i change the tomcat keystore with another certificates of
> SHA1 algorithm everything works fine.

So the only difference is SHA1 versus SHA2 hash on the certificate?

Java 1.7 handles both of those without a problem.

Can you try connecting to your server using OpenSSL's s_client program?

$ openssl s_client -connect hostname:443
CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=1 [cert subject]
- ---
Certificate chain
 [cert chain]
- ---
Server certificate
- -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
[certificate]
- -----END CERTIFICATE-----
[cert info]
- ---
No client certificate CA names sent
- ---
- ---
New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is RC4-SHA
Server public key is 4096 bit
Secure Renegotiation IS supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
SSL-Session:
    Protocol  : TLSv1
    Cipher    : RC4-SHA
    Session-ID:
5712CBF2C60CFB9DDD456DA9E67B1F6CDD5FDE12178266E5AB0888CF21859B8A
    Session-ID-ctx:
    Master-Key:
2EFB02FD1F605120E55D3C293CE9E5CE5076CBA1E286A91EB271F7D145825CE441EF2614
B9E0CB743C690DC4E45262CF
    Key-Arg   : None
    Start Time: 1431870170
    Timeout   : 300 (sec)
    Verify return code: 0 (ok)
- ---
^C

At the bottom, you can see the connection information that was
negotiated with the server. s_client has options to allow you to set
the protocol(s) supported, the cipher(s) supported, etc. Perhaps you
can narrow-down the problem.

- -chris